Canned Heat and Woodstock '69

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dragen, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I watched a Woodstock film yesterday and I must say it's incredible. It blew my mind.....and the others in the band too. We're planning a concert where only music from the sixties will be played......and we'll even dress up the sixties way (at least as we think they Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane did at least). Anyway, I noticed this bassist in a band called Canned Heat and he was.........incredible!!!! I don't know if he was incredible because of his playing or the way he played, but he was incredible. So who is he?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Boogie is timeless.

Larry Taylor was all over, with some other artists you may have heard of, (to mention a few of the most prominent- The Monkees, John Mayall, Albert King, Tom Waits.

If this 60's, psychedelic music is new territory for you, there are a lot to check out, but from a bassist/gearhead perspective, I suggest Blue Cheer. (They have sound clips at CDNOW; "Doctor Please" is a real plaster cracker. They were so loud their manager said they "turned the air into cottage cheese)."

If you get your concert together, I suggest serving blotter acid. The windowpane and the blue barrels are just too heavy to eat in public.

If I got some of my old friends together and an acre of Marshalls, could we play your concert? One of them actually lived near the corner of Haight and Ashbury!
  4. canned heat, wow, well now i know what i will be listening to tommorow. hell maybe i will bring a humble pie cd too. :D
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Also, check out John Mayall's USA Union lp. This was a blues album with NO DRUMS. Just Mayall, Larry Taylor, Harvey Mandel on guitar, and Sugarcane Harris on violin. Great album.
  6. Turock, thanx for that url. I found out that Canned Heat will be playing locally in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to checking out their live show 32 yrs post Woodstock.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Anytime dude!
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000

The bassist (I forget his name) really got a killer sound on Humble Pie's Smokin album.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You know around here whenever someone makes a minute technical error or says they don't know the name of anything, someone always jumps on it. Here am I. Greg Ridley was the bassist (played through Ampeg SVT's w/2 cabs minimum). I still play, "I Don't Need No Doctor" religiously from the "Rockin' the Fillmore" LP because of that "smokin'" sound.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-05-2001 at 12:18 AM]
  10. Greg Ridley i love that guy, great tone. have you ever heard there version of "i can't stand the rain" bluesy and funky. another underrated bass player
  11. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i say canned heat live a few years ago. that was a great show.
  12. I can't say much for Mr. Taylor given how big of an ass he has been on alt.guitar.bass. Do a Deja search for "bigdaddy" on A.G.B and you'll see what I mean. Really, a guy old enough to be my grandfather shouldn't be so...juvenile.