1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Canned Soup in a restaurant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Have you ever had the experience of a restaurant trying to pass off canned soup as homemade? I have. I called them out on it and eventually got them to level with me.

2. when i was little the one resteraunt we went to had the dinosaur shaped chef boyardee on the kids menu and thats what i always wanted. pissed my dad off something fierce paying 4.95 for a can of spagetti-o's

also our local applebees was using stouffer's mac n cheese for the kids mac n cheese. dont know if they still are.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have too. I'm not a soup snob, but I can taste canned soup when it is served to me. No thank you.

-Mike

4. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    What's the best canned soup for metal?

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Good question. I have yet to have a canned pea soup that measures up to METAL status.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    In a place like a diner I expect nothing more so I'd never order soup there...in a restaurant? No way...but I also resign to the fact that unless specifically advertized as "homemade", even the restaurant stuff comes pre-made in bags that are thawn in the crockpots...which is why I never order soup at restaurants either...

7. Restaurants pass off other things as legit too.

A friend of mine used to be a manager at a slightly more upscale restaurant here in town. They sold a "Homemade carrot cake" dessert. And according to him they weren't tecnically lying, it was homemade....at the grocery store bakery down the street. They'd buy a few, mark it up ridiculously, and serve it by the slice.

8. But, what's the best metal for soup cans?

paulie

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    There was a bar I went to awhile back that was trying to pass off ~13oz glasses as pints. My friends and I figured this out when our waitress brought me a glass for a 12oz bottled craft beer that I ordered. The 12oz bottle filled the glass almost completely to the top, and the glass was no smaller than any of the pints my friends has ordered that were claimed to be 16oz.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Happens all the time. Watch a few of the shows on food network etc and see how many are using frozen foods and microwaves. I know people who work in kitchens and have been told to run to the corner market to get burger, shrimp etc since they ran out. The food is market way up.

Most chain restaurants use frozen pre packaged foods.

11. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I try not to eat out anymore. If I to, it's somewhere like Subway or Taco Bell, so I already know the food is frozen and warmed up for me.

Then again, I like to cook. That helps tremendously when you want to avoid restaurants.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Over 50% of the sushi served in the US is a cheaper fish of a similar color.

I once got canned okra instead of fresh. I could tell because all pieces were the EXACT same size.

This type of thing is pretty common.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My gf was watching Hell's Kitchen the other day. Someone had ordered a Beff Wellington with no pork.
    Ramsay told the chef it couldnt be done, as the Wellingtons come frozen with Prosciutto between the beef and breading.

14. noiseguy

noiseguy

Apr 1, 2013
    One word for you all: Sysco.

You eat out, you're probably eating their products.

15. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yeah, I think I saw the exact same episode, or one very similar.

And Ramsay even advocates for smaller portions of fresh food when feasible.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I think its a relatively recent episode. She was watching it on Hulu.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I did too. That was awesome.

-Mike

18. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    All I can think of is the All-State commercial:

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you eat at any chain restaurant, you can bet the soups are not fresh. Usually big plastic bags. Thats the only way to ensure consistency with such low quality labor and high kitchen turnover. Unless a place is known for its soup, it probably isnt selling enough to warrant fresh daily.

20. Those yummy cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster - Bisquick.