Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cannibal Corpse gig last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Apr 16, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evein' all! I went to see the 'corpse last night with a bunch of mates at the Bradford Rio (smallish pub like venue about 2.5 hours drive from my hovel) and although I'm not a huge Corpse or Death Metal fan I had a great time!

The venue itself wasnt all that big which was agreat thing as the whole gig became more 'personal' - at the end of every song myself, my mates and a few crowd members, possibly fellow bass players, continually shouted 'BASS SOLO!!'. Although we never got a full blown one, we did get a few short licks between songs as well as the aknoledgment of the singer spointing and shouting at us 'He'll solo in a minute..if we've time!'.

The main thing that struck me about the band was how tight the were (as someone else mentioned on here some time back), especially when taking into account the fact they were constantly windmlling (like headbanging but whirling of hair), headbanging, jumping around and not to mention being knocked aside by the odd misdirected stage diver (incidentally the band heavily encouraged stage diving/crowd members going on stage).

Overall it was an excellent gig! The supporting bands were'nt to my taste but the corpse really polished off the night for me! As far as live bands go, they're way up there with Maiden!

I would've posted this review last night but I returned home in the early ours with an aura of death surorunding me, not to mention some of the juiciest armpits I've encountered to boot ;)

Band Ratings:
    Gore: 6/10 - Pretty technical (including a death metal tetris) but not really my thing.
    Kataklym: 6/10 - Again a 6 as tehy didnt really appeal to me. The drummer had some impressive licks and solos (between technical difficulties)
    Cannabal Corpse: 9.5/10 - If only the isnger (George) had of let Alex (bass) do a bass solo! If only!

Over and out ;)
    PS here's some pics:
    Ticket no' 1! WOW!

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    2 more pics (apologies for quality - they are digi' pics of the printed pics as the scanner isn't up 'n running).

Pic1: A nice pic of Alex Webster (bass)
    Pic 2: My bro stumbled upon George (singer) before they went on and got a pic

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    If you don't 'get it' why did you go in the first place? I mean, what did ya expect with a name like Cannibal Corpse? :) It's all in good fun.

Definately the tightest extreme metal group I've ever seen live. Those guys must rehearse like crazy. When I saw them there were literally no visual cues between band members at any point. Pretty wild when you consider the tempos and weird, or non existant, structure of their songs.

4. Hey, Cannibal Corpse is great. They've been around for well over ten years so it's no surprise that they are tight (singer changed, but Chris Barnes has been gone for a while already and the rest of the band is still there. Great show "this is for all the ladies in the house...f'd with a knife!!" maybe disgusting but its funny. I am not the hugest death metal fan, but my bro has been for a while and I've heard every one of their songs many times, in turn, and can appreciate it for its musical qualities, actually.
    They put on a great show and they really suffer for their music (they are FAAAR from well off...and with family) which is something that is truly honourable.
    They aren't stupid people, by the way...their lyrics may be disturbing (and on purpose, of course) and riddled with little known details about the human anatomy, but it's an artform coupled with another artform...Energized F'n Crazy Music...

Someone on another post mentioned John Coltrane...his 16 minute crazy soloes may not seem like much to the passer by, but its great stuff full of power emotion and energy...thats what draws people to this music..and I implore them, "Continue."

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I saw that Aborted was mentioned on the ticket. Did they play that night? You didn't mentioned them in your report, and since I'm from Belgium and they are a belgian band (by far the best Belgian death band), I was just wondering. Plus it's quite an achievement for a belgian band to tour in the US, considering the difficult musical climate for belgian bands. So, if they played, how wer they?

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    :rolleyes:

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Another :rolleyes: for you

8. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    haha ;)

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Very cool. Naysayers can bite me, Alex Webster has been THE death metal bassist for the last 10 years. And CC is a top shelf act, as Yoshi commented "right up there with Maiden" - absolutely. In that pic it looks like Alex is playing his old Modulus, guess his new Spector didn't make the grade? Or did he use that too?

Ole Jason, their songs are all 100% completely structured, no cues are required because they all know the songs and the songs are played exactly the same way, note for note, every night.

I saw Aborted last year at the MD deathfest, they were good... BUT they had to go on right after sombody really popular (maybe Skinless?) and the crowd wasn't familiar with their material, so they got kind of a "so what" reception.

Smash, when you said "it lacks invention" I hope you were talking about the lyrics and not the music. Because musically they're hugely inventive and creative; also one of the very few bands where the bassist writes a bulk of the material. I'll assume you were talking about the lyrics and we've been down this road before... death metal bands will continue writing death/gore lyrics for the same reason Hollywood continues to make gory movies about serial killers and mass murderers - people like it. Do you also go onto movie websites and flame stuff like "Dawn of the Dead" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"? You've already made your opinions on the subject well known in other threads, pretty much every time the topic of CC comes up. Frankly your snobbery is misplaced, and makes you look foolish in the eyes of fans of the genre.

10. eh CC hasn't done anything for DM ever. for the gore-it's all in good fun. there music stays the same too much. way to common structures and predictable solos/riffs. drumming sucks ass. bassist is ok, i even think kataklysm's bassist is better. music is fairly slow compared to the rest of DM. cryptopsy is a much better band.

11. I would agree with that alone.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey Mitch! I heard Alex say somewhere (maybe on the DVD?) that he was only going to record with the Spector but 2 Modulus basses would accompany him on tour.

I was at the MD deathfest last year too. Well just for Saturday anyway. I really liked Dying Fetus and Suffocation was cool too. The most memorable band for me was Foetpsy (forgive the spelling, this was a year ago ;)) from Wisconsin. The band that did 2 minute blast beat songs that were kind of fun. Also seemed cool as sh*t on stage. I'll probably go again this year, maybe I'll see you there.

DeepDeath, the only thing I agree with you on, is that Cannibal Corpse's drummer isn't the greatest...the weakest member of the band IMO. The drummers of Morbid Angel and Nile are way better technically. Of course, on the last few CDs the drums have been low in the mix, so that doesn't help.

13. The drummer for Cryptosy is SICK. What a beast. Anyways, CC is IMO is really great band. nuff said. But I understand if some people don't like them. I doubt my mother would like them, and thats cool with me.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Flo Mounier is indeed one hell of a drummer. I'm not a fan of Lord Worm, who was utterly, utterly incomprehensible, even with a lyrics sheet in hand. DiSalvo, on the other hand, I liked just fine.

Though I read somewhere that Lord Worm is back. Crap.

Schwinn- SMASH was talking about the lyrics (there was a discussion about this before).

I'm similar in that I don't really care for the lyrics, and they stop me from fully enjoying CC, but the music is definitely top notch. I don't think they're utterly moronic or anything, I just thing the gore thing gets really tiring after one or two songs.

I missed them when they came through my neck of the woods a couple months ago, but I wouldn't mind seeing them live. (Probably will go se Morbid Angel, Premonitions Of War, Satyricon, & Suffocation on the 30th, though)

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed; and it's at a pretty decent venue to see bands in. I've never seen any of these bands before, but I know I dig Suffocation and Satyricon, and MA have been around since the dawn of death metal, so I figure I'd better get around to seeing them. I've no clue about Premonitions of War either.

May is gonna be a busy month: In Flames/Killswitch Engage show, as well as a Fear Factory and Flatbush joint. GWAR is also coming though, and hell, I gotta see that. I dunno if I will, but I'm curious about Prong, who's also on their way through here.

Tommorrow might be interesting as well: Fantomas and Melt Banana. If my friend gets off work, we're gonna hit it up.

16. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    By structure I mean it in the classical sense of the word. Their songs are not in the typical rock song structure and that's a good thing!

17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Now that Lord Worm is back I may just start listening to Cryptopsy again, despite the horrible bass tone... that singer from Infestation was good, but pretty generic. Lord Worm had his own unique style.

Smash, you still don't get it. Slagging a whole genre for staying within the format of a style is idiotic. You may as well say that blues artists aren't inventive because they stay within the I-IV-V format. And I *do* know what I can do with a knife...

MA hasn't had 2 guitars since Erik Rutan left and the band turned into a Treysolo wankfest.