Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cannot decide !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johannes, May 1, 2001.

1. Hi everybody !
    For the last month I've really been thinking about satisfying my GAS.
    I happen to have about 600$ at the moment (pupil) and I just can't decide how to spend it.
    I have two possibilities:
    Buying a Cort Curbow 5 fretless or a Spector CR5FM.
    Of course the Spector is much better, but I think playing fretless would improve my technique a lot, because I think it helps disconnecting your mind from the frets and also to play more exact on the frets (=better sound, less buzz). Another problem is that 600$ won't buy that spector :-( !
    I think it's more important to improving your playing than your instruments, but this d*mn Spector looks so lovely....
    Can anybody give a good advice?

Johannes

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the Curbow has alot of fans here at Talkbass, I wonder if you want a lined neck, I dont believe the Cort comes with lines.
    The Spector is nice but I dont think you should dump that much into a fretless without knowing if fretless is for you. What about getting something used or getting a MIM Fender for $300-350, or a Yamaha BBN4F for $325-360. The Fender is predictable and you can upgrade it like crazy if fretless is for you. The Yamaha got good ratings by Bass Player magazine. I personally prefer the Fender even though Im not a vintage kind of guy.

Good Luck

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can't comment on the Cort Curbow 5 fretless because I haven't tried one, but the Spector is the bass!!!! The CR series are so close to the USA versions that it makes me wonder what is on Stuart's mind!!!!! You can still get a great deal @ <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010425055920209244101141233111?pid=514417"><font color=red><b>Musician's Friend.</b></font></a> They have 1999 models in solid red & black for $999.99. This bass used to sell for $1499.99 & is the best deal right now on new Spectors. These have the dot inlays as opposed to the crown inlays that the newer ones are sporting.

What you could also do is get the Curbow & play it until the ruturn ploicy is almost up. If you're not happy as you thought, return it & save some more for the Spector. If you like the Curbow, keep it.

Good luck.

4. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Get Spector :) Since I don't even know my way around a fretted bass. :D

5. nino, I think that's the best suggestion. U see, I definately am into fretless (unlined, OF COURSE :) ), and I've already played the cort and I think I liked it (quite a time ago, don't remember very well). My local store will guarantee a return policy of 30 days, which I think is fair. Fretless won't slap very well, but I still got my fretted Ergodyne (d*mn, two basses made of plastic...hope this is not a bad sign. Plastic bass-Plastic music???)

Johannes

6. You know, I have always liked the Cort Curbow Fretless, but they don't make them left-handed so I am pissed at them and will never buy a Cort. I despise prejudice. Unfortunatley for me the high end Spectors are in the same boat.

7. I can't believe that! I'm sure there's a bunch of bassists who would like to have Stuart built a left-handed SPECTOR. I mean, its the dream of lots of bassists, perhaps virtually everyone!

Johannes

PS: I hope my english is not too bad, I'm from Germany, and sometimes my translations get out of control ! (Let's hope that this won't happen to my fretless playing !!!)

8. Believe it.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Czech Spectors are a pretty good deal, considering that the similarly-featured US ones cost $2000-3000. Keep in mind, though, that the Spectors are pretty damn heavy; 10+ pounds, I think. If you're playing long sets, the Curbow may be the better choice.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Spectors aren't too heavy IMHO. They are very comfortable and well balanced. I think the Curbow is a good buy but a bit akward. I had a hard time playing seated. Also, I haven't seen a lined fretless.

If you don't have another bass, get the Spector. If this is an additional axe, go for a fretless and EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS. This is a good deal, and you may want to eventually invest in a heavy duty fretless based on you enjoyment. Don't lay down everything on one until you get the itch.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Spector makes USA's & Chech's in left handed versions. I'm not to sure of the Korean models.

<a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010502070304209246092127025151?pid=514422X">CLICK HERE</a> to see a Lefty NS-4 CR on MF. It's a scratch & dent special for $719.99.

<a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010502070304209246092127025151?pid=514425">CLICK HERE</a> to see another lefty NS-4 for $899.99 @ MF.

I believe that both of these basses are 1999 models that originally sold for $1349.99. These basses have the dot inlays as opposed to the crown inlays & the maple is not as figured. The first one is the best deal you will find on a new Spector, anywhere.

12. If you think you might be interested in fretless, go for it! The second bass I bought, after a bare bones fender squire, was a fender jazz fretless. I had much difficulty with it, but once I got comfortable with it and "learned" to hit notes accurately (this bass has no fret lines) I had a much easier time going back to frets. Fret buzz was dramatically reduced, as I was (mostly) not hitting the frets anymore!

Plus, the sound that comes out of a fretless is unique and very appealing, IMO. I would actually strongly recommend the fender jazz fretless bass.
    Musicians friend has a standard jazz fretless for $350. Looks like they are now using fret lines, which will help with playing. It's a passive bass, but I like it.

The best bet would be to sit down with the different basses you're thinking of and just *play* them! If not, make sure the bass you get has a no-haggle return policy if you're not happy. Hope it works out!

13. Unless your main style is playing fretless, I'd definitely buy the Spector. Get a killer deal on them now while you can. You can always save up for the Cort Curbow later and their prices should be about the same. Save in the long run and get the Spector now. That is my advice!!! BTW, wear a leather strap and the Spector's weight won't be a problem. They are pretty heavy but they are balanced. I don't even notice the weight when I play them.

14. thanks Nino. I actually called them a year or so ago to get a USA NS/4 made for me and they said they don't make it lefty. Perhaps I was missinformed. Odd though, I was ready to spend almost $3000 on a bass and they didn't want my business because I play upside down and backwards.

I will have to give them another call when I have that kind of money again.