Cannot set intonation? Hipshot A syle Fender Mount

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RyanOh, Apr 14, 2019.

1. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

EDIT UPDATE: 10/10/2019. You can get shorter machine screws to set the correct intonation. Hipshot will send them, may have included them.
    They are #4-40 1-1/4" stainless steel screws -- you need 1" length instead.
    I paid 30 cents each for them, local hardware store.

I have a 1997 Modulus VJ4 with factory installed Gotoh 201 5 screw bridge.
    I bought Hipshot 5A4FM1BC, Fender A Type bridge -- 3 screws that match current bridge.
    A Style Fender® Mount Bridges

I can't make the saddles go further back. They don't thread through saddles -- they stop inside.
    Picture is E and A saddles as far back as they go, and I put the Gotoh aligned with mounting holes to compare. It's way off, especially E and A. Very limited travel on the saddles, surprising.

Would Hipshot send me saddles that are threaded through, or is this a no-go?
    20190414_142522.jpg 20190414_142532.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Ask if they could send you some shorter screws? You can probably shorten the springs yourself if needed. If Hipshot's not helpful, try a good hardware store.

RyanOh likes this.
  3. RyanOh

Shorter screws. There's a genius idea!

Thanks. I can cut them.

EDIT: For the record, Hipshot includes 2 shorter screws in the hardware package...didn't check that first. Intonation is still not perfect but close, I will cut or get even shorter screws.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Joedog likes this.
  4. That was my first thought. Cut or remove the springs completely.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    THat won't help in this case. The screws bottom out in the saddles - they don't pass all the way through. They can't go all the way through - they would run into the height adjustment screw.

ak56 and RyanOh like this.
  6. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    There's this whole "witness point" thing. It's slightly controversial but I think it's real and that the E string in your photo needs to have its witness point set. This may fix your lingering intonation issues, and will keep it stable going forward.

ak56 likes this.
  7. RyanOh

Actually never did that, and it helped. E and A are now right on.

"I just play these things." Thanks. The witness point is visible where the string winding separates slightly over the saddle. That did make a difference.
    20190414_174441.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Zooberwerx and ProfFrink like this.
  8. Indeed. I missed that earlier. The picture from above didn't load and I missed the intonation screw alignment in the other picture.

9. RyanOh

I just ran into this issue again on another bass, and this time the shorter intonation screws were not in the package.
    I went to the hardware store and bought #4-40 1" stainless machine screws - cheap and quick.

I updated the OP with the screw details.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021