1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Canon s95 point and shoot digital anybody have one?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tjclem, Oct 31, 2010.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am thinking about selling all my EOS dslr stuff and going point and shoot and a seriously considering the S95..Looking for opinions...Thanks ..Tom

2. I don't have experience with that camera, tho I will ask, why the change from the DSLR gear?

(just as someone who's buying into the EOS system in the near future)

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Not a thing wrong with the EOS DSLR systems. From 1979 to 2007 I was a camera repairman and collected a lot of equipment over the years but now I am finding myself wanting to downsize and not lug around all that stuff with me. By just selling a few of my DSL pieces I cold pay for the new one. .Tom

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I have the S90 (S95 predecessor) and its a wonderful camera, vivid pictures in a compact size. Can do bokeh for close ups and nice long distance. Works well in low light and don't need the flash all the time. Its definitely one of the best point and shoots on the market.

5. Is there a setting for bokeh, or can you actually do manual settings with it? I have DSLR and the reason I don't do point and shoot is the delay time. Whwen I want to take a picture, I want to take it NOW.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  7. Depends on what point and shoot you have, some of the newer ones have no noticable delay :)

8. That's good to know. I just watched the video of the S95, and it seemed very cool except the fact that you can't zoom on the video mode.

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Mine just arrived. Seems pretty cool and solid it will be interesting getting used to something that small. I will get some time to play with it tomorrow..tom

10. Bump:

I got tired of lugging my DSLR to places, and it is always a pain to travel with. I was choosing between Nikon P300 and the Canon S95. Being a Nikon DSLR user, I wanted to like the P300, but the lesser image quality (IMO) and the no-RAW option made me order an S95. I'm getting it tomorrow! Any other users out there?

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I love mine. I wish the audio level was adjustable for the movie mode it will overdrive when shooting bands in bars unless they are fairly quiet. Enjoy..t

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love my S95 as well. I'm going to get an Ikelite housing for it sometime this fall so I can take it scuba diving with me. For the money, it's a phenomenally powerful and compact camera.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    find myself shooting a lot more with the s95 around ( in pocket). puts the fun back into shooting. quick & easy shots. highly recommended for shooting on the fly, journalistic, wider angles, of if there's no time to sit & compose & focus.

great in the dark w/o flash. GREAT.

the best thing--it shoots RAW

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "great in the dark w/o flash. GREAT." Agree Grab the case that Amazon has an extra battery and an extra 16gig card the extra battery and card will fit in the pocket of the case and off you go...t

15. cool, thanks guys. I was having buyer's remorse when I was browsing the lesser Canon SD series, but none of them has the big sensor for low light! Good call on the extra battery, I heard that this camera is a little bit hungrier in terms of juice.

16. I would try to tape up the mic holes.... do you think that would work?

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Well I can tell you bandaids over the sensors don't help much

18. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    My dad was a semi pro photographer for years. After the digital era he kind of stopped shooting. He did buy a s95 when it came out and it is the only thing he shoots with now, and loves it.

19. Just received it today. I was driving home and I saw the UPS driver toss the box on my porch and take off:rollno: freaking lazy ass UPS driver...

anyways, I played with it some, and although it feels like a toy as compared to my D90, it takes good pics. The manual mode is awesome, I love how the screen attempts to show what the pic will look like at the different shutter speeds and apertures.