Canopy - during day one (death metal)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheInsane, Jan 6, 2005.

1. 3 months ago my band Canopy released our first demo cd. I would like to hear what you guys think of out stuff. Here are direct links to the mp3's:

Common Walls -

During day one -

Symbiotic -

Shades of truth -

We will record our second demo in February (this time in real studio enviroment). I would just like some input on our old songs.

Visit the homepage at:

2. The vocal thing is what have been most critizised. We willt ry to vary it more for the next demo (which is needed cause of the new song too).

About the vocals. The outro (clean vocals) on "symbiotic" is sung by Dan Swanö of Edge of Sanity/Bloodbath fame (the slow guitar solo in the end is his too).

Thanks for the input. All comments are welcome.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think it's quite good. I actually like the vocals just as they are. I do agree with SMASH's comment of the similarity of some parts, but not a real big deal.
  4. I like a good portion of it, the only complaints i would have, and things that will be changed with a pro-studio setup, the tom's and bass drum don't have the punch I usually expect when i listen to metal. On all the tracks I felt like there was a lot of extra cymbal sounds, and on shades of truth when you guys change to the really really fast part, the vocals sound kind of out of time with the music, or maybe he needs to "punch" up his vocals and spit them out to match tempo better. I really like the melodic work your string players put in, I wasn't really digging Shades of truth until the parts you can really hear that bass pattern, and then it kinda drops down a bit and you guys start building up momentum, with some classic eighties lead with the rhythym chunka chunka. My favorite song of the 4 is definitely During Day one, the counter melodic parts you guys play are pretty sick. Anyways, I like how it sounds and hope you guys get some good studio time.

btw, if i'm a total moron, feel free to let me know, i was just posting my opinion, what the hell do i know :)
  5. Thats very true. Its recorded in the guitarists basement so the sounds have some shortcomings. Most obvious are the drums (you can "hear the room" to much). We will enter the studio in February (a real studio) and that will definately give us better drum sound.

I dont hear him being out of time really. Thats the way the vocal lines have been written.

You're not a moron :p

Thanks for the opinions they are appreciated. I'll post a thread about our next demo when its done.
  6. it sounds good...
    since i am not a fan of that kind of vocals, i will not comment on it!
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. Solid groove oriented metal. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more and/or checking you guys out live. Also digging that the bass is actuall in the mix, something metal guys seem loath to do.
  8. Cool. The nxt demo will be a bit faster but its still mad-paced stuff mainly. We wont do the Marduk thing ever ;)

I was also surprised to hear the bass as clear and of course Im very pleased with that as a bassist.

Any more comments are more than welcome.