Canopy - will and perception (death metal) opinions please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheInsane, May 18, 2005.

1. Greetings all!

My band Canopy have just released our second demo cd and we are looking for opinions from people on our stuff. Everything is avaliable for download on our web page. I created a thread for our first demo cd and I liked the serious resonses that generated ( so I thought I'd do it again.
    Last time we had Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity) doing a guest appearence. This time we got Kristian Niemann from Therion to record a guitar solo in the song "will".
    The music is definately death metal in the more melodic vein. But we dont lose the brutality because of the melodies. I think its quite a nice balance between the two.

I would like positive as well as negative comments on it as long as its all done in a constructive manner.

Canopy - "Will and perception"

Decipher -
    Perception -
    or the sickened voice to hear -
    Void -
    Will -
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've decided to download your songs... it'll be a while, but I figure I'm very picky about my metal these days, so I should be able to comment. :ninja:

Good luck! :ninja: :D
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the demo.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You guys must be prog metal... your songs are huge... I've got the download paused at home... I'm at work. :D PROG!
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Allow me to shed a fake tear for the poor DSL users.

... bastards...
  6. I guess you could say that we got some progressive stuff in there as well ;)

Decipher - 05:19
    Perception - 02:18
    For the sickened voice to hear - 03:41
    Void - 05:58
    Will - 10:23

Thats how long the songs are. It goes fast for me to download them but then I have a fast connection. There is nothing wrong with the server that slows down the dowload rate anyway.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm listening now: This is really really good Death Metal... really good. And I honestly can't stand 75% of Death Metal... I almost get an In Flames vibe off some parts... except I actually like your singer better than In Flames guy! :eek:

Yeah, normally with Death Metal the singer is a turn off, but this guy, I can deal. He isn't the ultra low stupid kind, he's the nice mid growl. Speaking of nice mid growl... you sound pretty good yourself sir! :bassist: Death Metal shouldn't really have Victor Wooten tone... I think yours is perfect for the songs.

Very elaborate too, a lot of changes. AND DYNAMIC!!!!!!!! HOLY ****!!! I have never heard a band calling themselves Death Metal ever have a mellowish part. Decipher has a break! A nice one at that! It's not a non stop barrage. Most Death Metal the only break from bruitality you get is between songs... and I cherish that two seconds! :D

This is really good, I strongly recommend any metal fans checking these guys out. I could easily see you guys hitting it really big in the DM circuts. My best wishes for a long lasting career! :bassist:
  8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i listened to "will".

even though i don't like death metal and don't listen to it very often i will admit that this is quite cool.

the singer is indeed not as annoying as so often found in this kind of music (well, for me at last), and while the sound is not 100% professional (you hear the low budget) it's still good enough.

as Matt Till said, the music is dynamic and interesting. there are some quieter "acoustic moments", the guitar solo has a more straight "rock" feeling. all of it grooves well and isn't too full of clichés. you balance between more melodic "hooks" and more heavy parts - i like that.
  9. I really appreciate the answers (even more so because they were positive :p ). I would like christoph to ellaborate on how you think the sound is "low budget". Everything to pay more attention to that the next time we record something. We actually did visit a nice studio and payed quite a bit of money on this demo. I hope you're just getting fooled by poor computer speakers but if thats not the case I would like to know what sound low budget.

More opinions from other people are more than welcome as well.
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm listening to Decipher right now, and I have to say, I am suprised in a positive way. Nice dynamics, not a "look at how fast and technical we can play" song, which is good, enough variation too. The sound (production) reminds me a bit of Vomitory, the music makes me think of Arch Enemy. Good singer too.

The fact that it doesn't make you want to skip is a huge plus, because that is what I experience with a lot of death metal.

Nice work, I'll check out the rest when I have the time.
  11. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    Wow! I have to say that while I'm not generally a fan of this genre, you guys are really great, and even via mp3 your songs sound excellent. Great recording job.

I love every second that doesn't have vocals (that aspect is why I don't like the genre very much).

Well done!

12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This sounds like something I would like...I wish I could get it to download!
  13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i listened on a creative labs 2.1 setup and on adam audio anf-10s. i have to admit that "low budget" does sound a bit harsh, but i don't find any better words.

what i meant was that compared to most other cd's i have, the sound is not as polished and "big". in my head i compared it to borknagars empiricism, which has kind of the same problem - "big music" but the production lacks.

that's not to say that it sounds bad... far from it. it's definitely OK, especially for a demo. but the real punch is missing. the drums sound kind of small and the clean guitars are missing some body.

so, all in all, i'm not saying that the great music is ruined by sub-standard sound, just that that last final bit could probably added by polishing the sound some more.
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Finally got one file to download. I like it. The songwriting is very cool, reminds me a lot of older (pre Angela) Arch Enemy, In Flames and Dark Tranquilty. I'd definately put it more in the Gothenburg school than straight death metal, and that's a good thing in my book.

The production isn't perfect, but its better than standard demo fare and doesn't mar or obscure the songwriting (at least not on my average quality speakers, maybe a higher end system would reveal more shortcomings).

I will download the rest over the course of the day and see what I think (Decipher took almost 2 hours to stream down, I think you may need to look into a better webhost).
  15. Big thanks to everyone for their replies. You who havent written anything yet feel free to do so.

I just tried to download decipher and it took me 20 seconds. Cant it be that you have a slow connection?
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hate to break it to you, but there aren't too many Death Metal fans on these boards. ;)
  17. I know that. I've been here for several years (even though I dont post that much). Im pretty satisfied with the replies I have gotten so far though.
  18. Really good stuff! I'm listening to Decipher right now. The music reminds me very much of the danish band called Invocator. Vocals remind me of Immolater (hehe, I'm comparing you to bands that very cool 10 years ago. It's not a judgement of your music, it's just my references that are pretty old ;) But you should check out Invocator anyway) Very nice and interesting song structure too.
    Any deeper meaning behind the Schopenhauer title?
  19. Yes there is a deeper meaning. The lysics is about a person who goes crazy when he comes to the same conclusions as Schopenhauer. I didnt write any of the lyrics so I cant describe it more but that was the concept for the whole thing.

We did use more variation on the vocals this time. More variation between high and low pitched stuff (as well as the grunts made by one of our friends on "will"). I guess death metal vocals arent all that varied to begin with.

Interesting opinions. Im glad you give contructive critism and not just say "bad production" or "good songs". Im curious as to what producions in the death metal genré you see as the best ones. It would be good to check out and see if we can learn anything from them for our next release.

Sounds awesome! I'll PM you in the morning.