Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't afford accugrove...next best thing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Feb 16, 2005.

1. What is the next best in terms of what accugrove delivers(no colorization, clear and clean, studio type sound)

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    ACME's are probably the closest in overall sound, though they are less efficient, and require more power. The only cabs that I have heard that fit what I would describe as "no colorization, clear and clean, studio type sound" would be Accugroove, ACME, EA and Hevos. None of these are really cheap, though ACME is the most affordable (but might require more amplification). There may be others, but this is all I have heard. I guess the Phil Jones Briefcase would also fit this category, but I have not heard any of their standalone cabs.

Other brands that I would characterize as slightly colored, or not quite as ruler flat, but still excellent in overall presentation, would include Bergantino, Epifani, Dr. Bass, and Schroeder. Older Mesa Boogie Diesel and RR cabs are also exemplary. Some cab manufacturers have some cabs that are colored, and some that are more accurate. The Eden 210XST is an example of a fairly accurate cab from a company that makes some fairly colored (though highly regarded by many) cabs.

Low Down Sound makes a wide variety of cabs, and don't really have a "house sound", but some of Don's 8" equipped cabs are exceptionally nice. IMHO, they need a bit more upper mid presence (which he is working on), but their low end is full, clear, deep and tight.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    (dang it! tom always beating me to the punch! :spit: :smug: )

easy, Acme and EA!

both share that more neutral and balanced studio monitor like sound, and yet have their own quirks.

the Acme is moreso flat and uncolored, so the sound might seem bland, but that's the beauty of it! you can sculpt and shape your tone everywhich way you want, so long as you have a semi or fully parametric EQ on your head or preamp. my B-4 is like a blank canvas, and my Aguilar DB680, EA iAMP-800, and Presonus Eureka are my paint boxes.

also, the fact that it goes sooooooo low to 31Hz is very nice for your low B. and unlike many other cabs on the market, i not only hear my Low B clearly and articulately, but i can actually feel the punch of my low B.

the drawbacks of the acme sound? the hunger for wattage (i.e. at least 750 watts for a B2), works best with semi or fully parametric EQ's, and its sensitivity might be an issue with gents playing in super loud situations.

the EA is about as neutral, tho does have a tad more upper airyness, and that addictively slammin' low end punch. make no mistake, i thought the CXL112 is one of the more punchier and slammin' 1x12's i've ever used. also, EA cabs in general have waaay more sensitivity than the Acme, so it'll be a louder package. and if you have an EA head like i do, you'll realize that EA on EA sound is MONSTROUS. Low B wise, the CXL goes the lowest i've seen of any 1x12 cab, 38Hz, which is handy for those smaller gigs. willing to bet a pair would rock the hizzouse.

if anything, the Accugroove line, and from what i've been gleaning from my experiences with my new Tri112, are like a cross btwn the Acme and EA. you get that neutral yet fuller feel in the mids of the Acmes, but at the same time, there's a touch of added airyness and a nice slam of the EA line. for a while, it sorta frustrated me, cause the accu didnt wanna lean to either sound, but after a while, i learned to love it!

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Not always... ;)

The effects of a transmission line cab are not to be underestimated. Just try two VL-210B's with about 1,500 watts per cab. The depth is astounding!

Well said! I'd say that the Accugrooves lay closer to ACME than EA, but definitely in between. The new EA NL-210 also resides in this same tonal range, and is a bit more full, round, and ACME-like than other EA cabs.

5. As Joker and Tom have both said, the Acmes are a great alternative. I personally can't tell you much about EA cabinets, but I have enough first hand experience to say that the Acmes are indeed flat and uncoloured down to 31Hz and have plenty of punch.

I would also agree that about 750 watts per B2 cabinet is the magic number. You can get by with a little bit less if necessary. Given the low cost of some of the current decent power amps (Crest, QSC) you could build a killer rig with a pair of B2 cabinets, a good power amp and a preamp of your own choosing.

6. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    Try Genz-Benz's NeoX212T---you will decide quickly that it is not "the next best thing"; it is an incredible cab! And you can get it for about a third of the price of the larger AccuGrooves.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    with a rig like this, i'd say Oddio knows what he's talkin' about... :smug:

[​IMG]

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Good lord, talk about G.A.S.!!!

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Bag End makes some pretty HiFi cabs esp. the D10BX-D & Q10BX-D.

10. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    From what I've gathered Accugroove cabs produce huge bottom end and can also be used as stand alone cabs. Is there anything else like Accugroove - that has that huge bottom end?

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ACME's have fairly similar bottom end response. They just take a lot of juice to respond in similar fashion.

12. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    You want HUGE bottom end? Try the Genz-Benz NeoX212. I play a five and I like a very deep tone. The G-B is easily the best thing I could find. I did not try Acme, but I did try AccuGroove, along with several other major brands. The G-B easily won every comparison.

13. Anymore suggestions? Which Acme cab to get as a monitor or for small venues to compliment a low B string? Also which amp do you suggest also?

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Any of the ACME cabs are great, IMHO. I own two Low B-1's and two Low B-2's.
    [​IMG]

As for amps, in the photo, I'm using a Walter Woods Ultra with the two 8 ohm B-1's and an iAMP 800 with the two 4 ohm B-2's. These are both great choices, when it comes to a head. Or, take your favorite preamp, and pair it up with a Crest CA9, and you'll be set!

15. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Good topic. I was about to post a similar thread. I'll try not to highjack it too much and I am looking at Accugroove, but would like something cheaper. I haven't played through Accugroove cabs, but I hope to try one out in the next week or so from Glen Kawamoto at Austin Bass Traders.

Here is my deal. I am looking for a new touring cab and I play electric and upright. I have a Bag End Q10Bx right now and I've used it for years. I love the tone, but it lacks in the low end. I carried one of those deep and wide 15" with it for a while but I want to keep my rig on the smaller side since I already carry my upright in one of the David Gage trunks and I don't want to hog the trailer with all those cases. So I've been thinking about a Whappo Jr. I've also looked at the Bergantino 210s/EX12s combo or Berg 322. I need something that is flat and won't give my upright any problems. The Bag End is great on that end. I have my amp set flat and my D-Tar Solstice flat and I can get plenty loud and have a good tone on upright. I've played most of the Aguilar, Bergantino and Epifani line. I haven't played Accugroove, Acme and Schroeder or the newer the newer EA cabs. I have a little bit of experience playing Genz Benz on electric, but not upright. I toured most of last summer with O.A.R and Howie Day and Jeremy Curtis from Howie had a Genz Benz rig. I played through his several times during sound check jams, but not with the upright. He played really loud and had it set with tons of low end. I don't have to get ungodly loud since there are usually good wedges and sidefills, but I want to feel my amp. BTW, I use an Ampeg 4 Pro right now for a head.

So similar to waytoodeeps quest, but any input from those that double on both basses woud be appreciated. I could do the Accugroove thing, but a cheaper option would be better since it would just sit in storage somewhere when I fly home and I wouldn't get to enjoy it year round. I have the little Berg 12 mini stack for in-town gigs.

thanks,
    John

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    +1

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    not to sound like a broken record or anything...

My upright sounds great (Full Circle/Fishman Pro) through my CxL-112.

18. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I've got the low volume thing down. Full Circle>>Pro EQ Platinum or D-Tar Solstice>>>one or two of the Bergs. I just need a different cab that can also hang with a loud rock band and give me a good sound on the upright arco and pizz. Like my Bag end, but more booty.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think you are looking in the right direction. My short list would include Accugroove, ACME, EA, and the Bergantino HT210s/EX112s combo. You can basically pick whatever size ACME cabs that fit your needs. The ACME's seem to be pretty darn similar in tonality, model to model, and

Accugrooves are fairly close, though there are some noticeable differences model to model. I think that the (discontinued) Tri 208 is probably the best Accugroove cab for upright, but it does not get very loud. If you don't need to hit a low B real hard, one or two Tri 110's have great punch and articulation. I have not tried the Tri 112, but others here my chime in. The Tri 210L sounds kind of like a "bigger" Low B-2. The Whappo, Jr. has clarity with authority, and is very full sounding throughout.

EA gives you some intersting options. The Wizzy, NL-210 and CxL-112 all have EA's trademark clarity, but provide differnt "spins." If you don't need the sparkly highs from a tweeter, two Wizzy's make for an astoundingly good rig for the size. With the wizzer cone, you have plenty of high end definition, but it never gets harsh (and doesn't have the highest level of sheen that you can get with a tweeter). Two NL-210's also offer warmth with clarity (something the Wizzy excels at), but are more extended in the high range. The CxL-112 goes deeper than the other two, and if you are going to be hitting the low B hard all night, you might want to consider the CxL-112. It has "extreme clarity", but is not as warm or full sounding as the other two. But, it is very responsive to EQ, and you can get about any sound you want from it. If you don't want to go with two Wizzy's, then my preferred rig is probably the NL-210/CxL-112 combo.

Hope this helps, Tom.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    BTW, masmasbasso, how was SXSW? I see you gigged it on a couple of nights. I was able to do SXSW a couple of years back (my sister in law lives in Austin), and I've been trying to figure out how to get back to it ever since!