Can't afford an amp but can you...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dreamwave, May 4, 2002.

1. This may be the dumbest question but I was wondering if you can wire a bass into your typical speaker inputs on a home stereo? I'd just like to be able to practice quietly. Thanks.
  2. Yea you deffinatly can do it. I have done it to my home stero before (275W system). And I mean it sounds allright and everything, but I coulnd't crank up the volume to much, and if you have hot pickups or active pickups forget about it. Because on mine it had a peak limiter and it would overload the channel, I mean it can be done, and I have done it, and if you need a quick fix I guess go for it. But I would deffinatly reccomend getting an amp.
  3. Heck... if you've got active pickups/electronics just plug headphones directly into the basses output. It's not all that loud but you won't disturb anyone else and it does definately work... makes it easy to practice to your stereo!;)
  4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you do have active electronics on your bass then I would try Munimula84's suggestion first. It may not be too loud but it also may do the job for now. I don't "think" it will harm your bass any but I am far from being a knowledgable techy.

When I was first starting to play my free no-name first bass, I use to run it thru my stereo receiver that had a 1/4" mic input and mic level control. It worked fine. The receiver was some 70's model that was probably 20 years old and I got for free from my friends dad. Definetly not Hi-Fi but it did the practice job when I was in 7th grade.
  5. why dont ya just get like a rogue 15 watt amp for like 30 bucks or whatever... anyone can get that.. it wont really be quality .... but its quiet practicing and i think rogue makes like a 50 watter and a 30 watter for small amounts more.. so you can definately afford an amp
  6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Or just mow a few lawns and get a Rogue.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a small 8:4:2 mixer and I have the two outputs of this connected to my home stereo system - although my speakers are Tannoy "studio monitor" quality!

I play my bass, keyboards and drum machine/microcomposer through this and my bass always sounds best through this setup - very high quality and I can add just a little digital reverb, using the mixing desk to liven up solos.