Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't afford my GAS at the moment, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Jun 10, 2005.

1. So I was perruzing Ebay today, when I came across this delight:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7328057578&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Having played the Aerodyne, several Japanese Fenders, and loving both, I immediately got a bad case of GAS. The Gun Metal blue with the black pickguard all on an aerodyne... ::drools::

So here comes the big question: I can't afford this bass from Ebay at the moment, so does anyone know where I can order one with the same finish, etc?

I would prefer not to spend a fortune on it, but a price close to what would be normal for an Aerodyne. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. You'll want to look at musicians friend, sam ash, music123, zzounds and any other online stores you can find.

Im not too sure what else to tell you...

Good luck on getting rid of your gas (hehe :rolleyes: )
    ~Ryan

3. Unfortunately not... :bawl:

None of those places have the made for Japan basses.
    (BTW, I know there have been many threads about Japanese Fenders, and I have yet to find a sight with a broad enough selection)

While we're on the subject of curing my GAS, I also would like to get any information about how difficult it is to go from a top-loading bridge to a string through.

4. Well, I honestly don't know what to tell you then... I guess go out to your local guitar dealer, whomever that may be, whether Guitar Center, Sam Ash, George's what ever it is, go out and find out what they have.

I went to Guitar Center this past Monday, and they had an all black Aerodyne withought pick guard and control plate going for under 400 American. I dont know if it was Japanese, or Mexican, or whatever, IM not a Fender guy, so I didnt play it either, just informing you that local stores have good deals too!

...Still trying to help,
    ~Ryan

5. Oh yeah, the bridge...

...What do you mean by difficulty??? String the strings, there's not difficulty change, all you have to do is run the strings through the back of the body, and up and out the top in the bridge, no biggie. Extra 2 minutes and maximum

Lata until next post,
    ~Ryan

6. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Yeah, I've seen these and they are pretty cute. I think the only Aerodynes you can get in the US are black. I think they are all made in Japan.

7. Deathblooms life - thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, all the aerodynes for sale in the US are black with no pickguards. I BURN for the gun metal blue with a pickguard. I actually did just locate one like it on ishibashi, so given time I may yet meet my goal. :D

In reference to the bridge question, it was actually about installing a new bridge. How hard would it be to drill holes for the ferrules, install the ferrules, etc etc etc. Would it be more worth my while to just get a luthier to do it?

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Are you wanting to do this on the Aerodyne when you get one or on your current bass? If on the Aerodyne, I would have a luthier do it. If on your current bass, put the money towards the Aerodyne. Nice taste by the way :)

9. Definitely on the aerodyne. In an ideal world, I would have that bass with a string through gotoh 206 and seymour duncan quarter pounders. That would be one hot bass. :D

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats pretty sweet. I have an aerodyne, and I love it. If I had the loot, I'd buy it...You can always sell a unique bass like that for close to what you paid for it, if not more in the future. I don't think i'm helping here...sorry. :D