Cant agree

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Sapatown, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hey,

We are finishing up an album in a metalband of three members, and the music seem to be fine to agree upon.

But when it comes to artwork, naming songs, and what the title of the album should, its always a pain in the ass to get to a point where all three are happy. Even the order of the songs.

I hated the whole prosses on our first album. And now, since its closing in on the next to decide all of this.

I have decided that I will let go on several stuff if I notice its becoming difficult. But its also sad to just go along with names and artwork I personally think sucks. But again its a democracy, so if we can't agree, I probably will go with the stuff not of my personal tastes you know. Its just so silly its so damn hard to agree on song orders or titles.. holy crap.

Its just down to different tastes, like one wants more serious/ambition titles, one wants silly/joke names etc, and one is more neutral.

Its funny, after I finally found people where we all like the music, its next level difficulties, like this post production stuff.

2. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    That sounds normal, was always an issue in every original band I've been in since there's no accounting for taste when it comes to artwork and song/album names. I'd stay away from silly stuff though, unless you're a comedy-metal band.

Alik, HolmeBass, jamro217 and 6 others like this.
  3. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Well you can at least be thankful for being successful. Be gracious. You accomplished an extremely difficult task just putting everything together.

dkelley, Cheez, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

curious: which one are you?

cnltb and Sapatown like this.
  5. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    I feel its more fun to not have so serious titles.

jamro217 and JohnnyChatter like this.
  6. There are three of you, so if you vote there can't be a tie. You just have to be willing to go along for the sake of the band if it's a 2 to 1 vote. Song names and things like that are really trivial and don't really affect things much. If the song is good it will stand on its own with any name. Or, get a manager or producer you trust and let him make the hard decisions.

dkelley, Sapatown and JRA like this.
  7. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    There's got be give and take. Maybe draw lots to set which one chooses the artwork, which chooses song order and which names the songs. Or say you will give way on what doesn't matter to you if you can stand your ground on what does. A clash of minds can make the outcome better.

mikewalker likes this.
  8. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, over the years I've joined two different working bands that had just completed recording projects. Someone was looking for a bass player because the band broke up or was regrouping. Too many disagreements over things that became personal or identity issues.

I've recorded for several bandmates. They made their own CDs and then sell them online and at their gigs. I just played the bass, and didn't worry about mix, photography, credits, etc. Only invested a little time, never accepted any money and did it just to help a friend out.

I'm sure I'd think differently if I was recording a project I really cared about or something of my own.
    Good Luck to you.

StaceyofBassey likes this.
  9. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    How do you guys figure it out?
    In the past or present.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:D ;)

you and i would be thinking the same way for this kind of stuff! fact is: i wouldn't be bothered if my ideas produced guffaws and belly laughs, but that's often too over-the-top for many of our comrades. when that happens i usually look for more tongue-in-cheek and/or clever, 'ironic', ideas --- reduce the 'laughs' but keep the smiles.

but it sounds like the esprit de corps you may need is really a function of your "democracy" --- so you may have to let it be:
    :thumbsup: it is what it is, OP, and then you get to move on....to the marketing campaign!

good luck with all of it, congrats on completing another recording! :thumbsup:

SoCal80s likes this.
  11. My experience with this sort of thing is to lighten up, asking questions leaving limited choices for a response, as opposed to making statements such as “this sucks”.

In the event of a total impasse, I’ve used names in a hat or even the threat of names in a hat to develop consensus. Silly, but it does work.

The bottom line is you all collectively own this project and that acknowledgment should be the basis for negotiation.

MynameisMe, mikewalker and Sapatown like this.
  12. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    As far as titles go, my suggestion is that you pick titles that are featured prominently in the song so anyone hearing the song can make a good guess as to what the title is, and pick titles that are easy to spell so anyone doing a web search can find your song without getting bogged down in the spelling.

As far as art work, I have no suggestions.

SoCal80s and MisterFabulous like this.
  13. Can you three agree on getting an Art Director?

You guys are two albums into your partnership. Some consistent imaging and approach that takes your audience into consideration. There may no budget or energy for someone outside the group to do art direction. But I've found that usually competence in one area (such as music) does not carry over to all areas (album art, effective marketing).

mikewalker and SoCal80s like this.
  14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    If everyone backed out of that process once it gets difficult, you're on the straight path to mediocrity.

cnltb and mikewalker like this.
  15. Collect everyone's preferences, like pix of the artwork that each person likes, song order, etc. Then set criteria for each, like for artwork- shock, artsy, lighthearted, etc. and have everyone write down why they like their choices. Put it all down on paper and find a graphics artist that has done artwork on CDs that has experience and a track record. Throw him some cash to give his opinion and what he may see as improvements. Then, use the opinion of a pro to make your choice and go have him do the work.
    Then you all sit down and look at the song order on successful bands' CDs in your genre and discuss why that order. It's not what each of you like. It's what will work to make your CD a success. Almost always, the first song will be the one that is predicted to be the hit. Cardinal rule: The first CD is the first impression and you want to come out of the gate loud and large. You can get all self contained later, once you all have gotten traction. But for now, follow the example and advice of those who have "made it".

mikewalker likes this.
  16. Release the album 3 different ways? That way no one feels unenthusiastic about the effort, and can present their vision formatted accordingly to others.

Also when it comes to certain decisions, i always keep this in mind:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard”.

- H. L. Mencken

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Goatrope and StaceyofBassey like this.
  17. I would go for something that indicates that you are a “metal” influenced band, but yet add some humor to the CD and let the title show some concern about the order in which the tunes are organized. Just an idea idea. And yes, I am kidding.

64B34288-3EBC-4065-BB05-639AE81F623C.jpeg

Pdaddy1978 and Sapatown like this.
  18. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thats the best band name ever haha! XD

Mannyinnewyork likes this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    This situation is my theory why the Beatles ninth studio album is plain white and was named as it is.

Pdaddy1978 and Sapatown like this.
  20. Thank you for seeing the humor and not getting pissed. Good luck by the way, hope your tracks reach a large audience.

Sapatown likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021