Can't anyone read standard notation anymore????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lneal, Mar 15, 2004.

1. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I was looking for transcriptions of some tunes today and all I could find was TAB! Tab, tab, tab!! :mad: This isn't meant to slag those who read tab at all, in fact this rant has nothing to do with you if you read tab, it's just that I don't and it's frustrating that it's about all I can find. But what if I want some transcriptions in standard notation? I'm SOL, that's what! Where can I find tunes transcribed in standard notation? Can someone please tell me?? :confused:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, it bugs me too, oh well, you're best off just getting real books* and transcribing yourself, you'll learn more that way anyway.

*there are many out there, motown books, latin books, jazz standard books..etc. Most are in treble clef, but whatever. <- lots of transcriptions there.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You find a lot of tab on the internet because it is 100000 times easier to convey using text than massive plugins to view basslines.
  4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Well, tplyons I didn't think of that but it is a good point. However, the few transcriptions I've seen in standard were mostly pics, .jpg, etc, like someone actually took pics of them. So, I guess the real books will probably be my best bet, but sometimes I'm learning a part and I just need a little bit to help me along, you know? So it doesn't make sense to me to buy a whole book for just that.

Here is one solution I've found: I'll load the song into Sound Forge, cut it until it is just the part I wanna hear and then time stretch it so it's slower, but at proper pitch. That helps, but sometimes I'd just like a quick look-see, you dig? :cool:
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, but that's the reason I have hundreds of dollars worth of real books and fake books. Just to check my stuff. Definately helps out at jazz gigs too :)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - Paul (our site owner) mentioned how there is a problem with standard notation, as it is subject to copyright law - so it is sufficient to be able to play that tune and hence the author should legally get royalties.

Tab is exempt from this (hence the proliferation) because legally, it is too inaccurate to construct a perfromance just from that information!! ;)
  7. I used to read standard notation real well, but it's been YEARS since I have had any need since high school. I prefer to have the root notes for the basic chord progression and make something up from that anyway.
  8. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I love reading music, I hate TAB

Damn, I can't even read tabs
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I enjoy reading sheet music too. Now if I could just play what was written on them LOL! :D
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya... I can... but uh... i hate doing it... well, site reading anyway. I don't practice enough for that not to tick me off. :p
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On either side of your head?

Seriously, welcome to the microwave generation. It's all about, "ME, ME, ME, NOW, NOW, NOW". But hey, look on the bright side: If you read well and transcribe well, you'll have a lot of TaBbERz eating your dust when a gig that calls for some skills comes up. :)
  12. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
  13. I knew notation very well when I played French Horn, but when I started on guitar, I found tabs to be much easier to read. I don't have a use for them anymore, anyway.
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    :D :)
    Yea, that's another good point, Chris. I have good ears, but I have just been wanting to work on my reading lately, not that I will ever have any call to use it here in Redneck, AL. :smug: just a personal thing that i want to work on. I used to read every day in school but that was 20 some odd years ago and as they say, if you don't use it...........

Also, like I said, sometimes I just want to get a quick look at a passage that isn't sitting well between my ears, you know? And as Bruce said, even if I did read TaBz they can't convey the full picture, like dynamics, note attack, etc. Can you imagine how discombobulated an orchestra reading TaBz would be??
  15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The Only thing I know is FACE.
    Thats it the word face