1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't be heard

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mozzalicious, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mozzalicious

Mozzalicious

Aug 3, 2012
    So my band has a show coming up Saturday and for the most part I play bass. But for the first song my bandmate plays bass and I play guitar and he plays with his fingers, whereas I play with picks basically and I always end up playing a lot softer than he does. Basically, how do I play louder with picks? Is there a reason it comes out so much softer than with my fingers? Thanks in advance

2. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Use his volume as a guide and raise yours to match? My pick playing is far more aggressive than my fingers, but that's just me. Sounds like you just need t ourn up to match your gentler style (or I guess HE could turn down, but where's the fun in that??!).

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm guessing its more about frequencies than volume. A finger plucked note and a picked note can have pretty different sonic profiles. I would guess your amp and or board channel are dialed in for fingerstyle and thats why you're getting lost in the mix whereas the other guy is coming through.

BTW its kind of ironic your guitarist plays fingerstyle bass. That's not real common. If he were willing to play with a pick as you do it might help solve the problem too.

4. Mozzalicious

Mozzalicious

Aug 3, 2012
    That's a good point, my bass doesn't have a volume though so I'll use the amp xD And there's no point turning down lmao, ONLY up

That makes sense, how do you dial it in differently (I know like nothing about amps pretty much xD) And yeah it is ironic xD I can too, but for more challenging lines I prefer to pic as I'm not the best bassist ever lol. He just loves fingerstyle, but I could ask him to use a pic

Thanks guys btw :D

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    It's opposite for me. I am much more aggressive with a pick and when I play fingerstyle I usually have to bump up a tad.

6. Mozzalicious

Mozzalicious

Aug 3, 2012
    Huh, thats interesting, maybe I'm doing it wrong lol. I can get louder with a pick but its by like putting all of my arm into it, like putting the force on the pick you would behind like pushing a heavy crate xD