Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't decide between buffered or true bypass ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

2. Jazz Ad

I certainly raised interest with this thread. :)

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    What is that? A special looper that allows both bypass and buffered mode?

4. Jazz Ad

Basically, yeah.

5. :bag:

....errrr.....pls forgive my ignorance....

...*WHAT* is "Buffered" bypass?

...is this the type of "clean bypass" my ME-50B affords me in tuner mode, where the signal is un-effected, but the LEVEL of the signal has dropped noticably?
    Please Explain...

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Man that's pretty cool, however I coul never justify the cost of a lehle over a loooper.

7. OK, here's how Non-Sqtr puts it:

...but I still don't get it.

What does one call the signal that comes from the output of a multi-effects unit? I've owned a Zoom type, and currently an ME-50B, and there is a "Bypass" of sorts available within the unit.....but it's NOT a true bypass; there's a loss in level between the "bypass signal" and what would be the "TRUE bypass signal"

^What is that called? A "balanced" signal, nothing more? Nothing to do with "Buffered"?

Any takers?

8. You're looking to replace your LS-2?

The Lehle looks cool, but is as big as 2 Boss pedals, so will take up more room than you might want.

One small piece of advice - sometimes it's best to NOT ask a question on TB and to just go with what works for YOU. You've used the LS-2 very successfully for a long time (and even inspired me to get one). Unless you're completely dissatisfied with it, I think you should keep it and keep the buffered/true bypass HOOEY in the dustbin where it belongs.

Just my opinion, of course.

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well there isn't a true answer for it, so all you can do is try it out and if your tone sounds better with your pedals in buffered stick to buffered. If it's better in true bypass stick to true bypass.

Just get it from a place with a return policy in case you don't want to use true bypass. Your boss pedal is buffered I believe.

10. Jazz Ad

No, I don't plan to replace it.
    The LS-2 is buffered and that is just fine for me.
    I was just browsing around and found that it was a nice concept.

11. Gotcha...I thought you were shopping.

I like the look of pedals, nice buttons! Any idea if Lehle is going to make anything other than loops?

12. Jazz Ad

For now, nothing but loops and A/B boxes.
    I recently exchanged emails with him and he plans to display a few new products for the Musik Messe.

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I need a buffered bypass on my board because my Frostwave Blue Ringer. It pops quite badly when switched on and off, so even if I put it in a TB loop it would still pop due to the mechanical nature of the switch. Because nothing mechanical happens with the buffereb bypass of my boss PSM-5, there is no pop.

Although I use loooper TB loops for everything lese on my board...

Alex