1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't decide: Ibanez ATK 805, Sterling Ray 35 or Fender Dimension V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eq777, Oct 8, 2013.

1. eq777

eq777

May 27, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    If anyone has any knowledge of these basses, please give your input. I have $800 to spend and I
    've narrowed my choice down to these three. They all cost the same. Please.help me decide.

So far Atk is in the lead becuase of the string through body...

2. I love the growl and feel of the ATK's. I haven't tried the new Fender Dimension V yet. The Sting Rays just don't feel nice to me. This will vary from person to person though. Try them all out and see how different they all feel (and sound). Then make your choice!

3. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I wrote the review for the ATK805E for Guitar Center & I personally love it, however for that money look at the Ibanez BTB series for 845ish & talk em down. I believe it encompasses what your looking for & is the best of both worlds. If it's either or & speaking from the point of view of a Stingray owner- get the ATK.

4. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    I had a Ray 35 for a short time, it was very well built and sounded good, I just thought it was too heavy and unbalanced when I held it.

5. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Oh, go ahead and live dangerously and get the Fender Dimension! One day, in the distant future, you can tell your grandson how you owned and played the legendary Fender Dimension the VERY first year they were made!

Just imagine...it would be like an old-timer describing how he walked into a shop in 1951 and bought himself one of Leo Fender's brand new "Precision" basses, and played it for the next 40 years!

I truly believe that this new bass from Fender will eventually be considered the latest of their well-known and respected models, forming a troika consisting of Precision, Jazz (and now) Dimension. There's a whole crop of new young players who will most likely be early adopters.

Besides, wouldn't it be fun to be the "First Guy On The Block" to own one?

6. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Or, you can buy the ATK, play it for a year, wish you had bought the Fender, and then sell the ATK for half of what you paid for it. THEN you can use proceeds as a down payment on a brand new Deluxe Dimension IV bass!

7. yeah either the atk or the fender. The fender will probably play good, and the atk is awesome!

8. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Or you can do like I did, which was buy a fender and then buy an ATK, and decide to sell the fender :ninja:

My ATK is a MIJ from the 90's and has been modded up the wazoo, so I can't compare, but mine is a very well built instrument: the neck shape is amazing (round, fat, but not cumbersome) and it is one of the liveliest basses I've ever played. The design is also very cool. Try all of the basses and choose the one which speaks more to you. All of these basses will probably have so-so resale value, so personal preference should be your only guide.

IMG_0799_zps51fb623a.

You can see on this picture that I don't have much experience with preamps and thus find them scary to use...

9. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Somehow, I can't imagine a brand-new Fender model in this range having a "so-so" resale value. By way of example, I just paid over 2/3rd the street price for a used CIC Fender Modern Player Telegraph, which has been out 3 or more years now, and that was a bargain. Any MIA Dimensions will more than likely hold value for quite a while.

10. FWIW, when I've tried out the Ray35s in store, they feel and sound virtually identical to my old EBMM SR5. Needless to say, out of these options, I'd take the Ray35. 2nd place goes to the Fender - they do look interesting!

11. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    If you have $800 to spend, I'd highly recommend checking the TB classifieds before buying something new from a retail shop; you'll get MUCH more bass for your money, as it's really a buyers market right now, and you can occasionally find some absolutely crazy deals.

A few months back I saw a Spector Euro4LX (which retails for $2000) go for $800 shipped, and that even included a hard shell case!

12. eq777

eq777

May 27, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for all the input. I went ahead an ordered the ATK. I did see some real steals on the TB classified however, but it was after I had already orderd the ATK. Oh well...next time I'll check the classified first.

13. eq777

eq777

May 27, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Well, the ATK came in yesterday...beautiful finish, nice quality construction...but one dissapointment: the "B" string is too weak. My $300 sub sterling "B" string blows it away. There is no clarity and the E and A strings are louder then the "B" string. I'm gonna try some adjustments and see if I can get it to sound fuller. Other than that, its a really nice axe.

14. It's always all about that particular instrument. I tried one ATK which was just superb, the low B just killed compared to the basses in the store. Maybe you can send it back and ask for another one?

15. eq777

eq777

May 27, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Well I'm sending my ATK back cause the "B" string is half the volume of the "E" and "A" strings. Pissed cause I hate having to go through all of that shipping crap. The tech from zz sounds said its something wrong with the bass itself. I hope the replacement is better. If not, Im going with a different model. Anyone else have this problem?

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Modern Player Telegraph?
    Man, Fender is coming out with new models faster than I can keep up. :bag:

Either the ATK or Fender will have more sonic options than the Ray.