Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't decide if its really poor playing or setup.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Droog, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I have been playing for a few years and I am now playing in fairly loud rock band and I tend to really dig in sometimes when the songs get rockin. I have noticed that recently at times I get that lovely popping, clacking sound when I play. Its not the string hitting the pick up its just sound you get if you were to tap (playing hand) on your string really hard.

So I can't determine if I am too heavy handed and I need to just chill, or if maybe a little string height adjustment may be in order. I play a P-Bass tuned CGCF, and that may have something to do with it too, sting tension and what have you. I think its more of a technique issue and so I come to you guys first.

Thanks alot for any input.

2. what string gauges do you use? It also sounds like you could raise your action a bit more...

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not a 100% but 125, 106, 85, 62. Or ther bouts, actually I think the C is 130 and the replacement is a 125. A luthier I trust set it up, but I am wondering if there is not a better setup. The low C gives me all kinds of problems and this may just be one of them, because now that I think of it, I think its the only string that really does it. Which sort of makes sense as it has the least amount of tension. What do you think?

Thanks!