Can't decide if its really poor playing or setup.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Droog, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I have been playing for a few years and I am now playing in fairly loud rock band and I tend to really dig in sometimes when the songs get rockin. I have noticed that recently at times I get that lovely popping, clacking sound when I play. Its not the string hitting the pick up its just sound you get if you were to tap (playing hand) on your string really hard.

So I can't determine if I am too heavy handed and I need to just chill, or if maybe a little string height adjustment may be in order. I play a P-Bass tuned CGCF, and that may have something to do with it too, sting tension and what have you. I think its more of a technique issue and so I come to you guys first.

Thanks alot for any input.

2. what string gauges do you use? It also sounds like you could raise your action a bit more...

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not a 100% but 125, 106, 85, 62. Or ther bouts, actually I think the C is 130 and the replacement is a 125. A luthier I trust set it up, but I am wondering if there is not a better setup. The low C gives me all kinds of problems and this may just be one of them, because now that I think of it, I think its the only string that really does it. Which sort of makes sense as it has the least amount of tension. What do you think?

Thanks!