Can't decide on a bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NikkiG, Aug 21, 2005.

1. NikkiG

NikkiG Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Ok, so I have been playing bass since I was 12, that's about 4 years now. My dad says it's time I get a "good" bass (I was happy with my Yamaha). Dad has a friend who's selling a Zon which I tried this morning. It was beautiful and sounded and felt really good. Problem is it costs a lot of money. I know that I will enjoy it and appreciate it it, but I don't know if I'm ready for something like this. Funny thing is, dad always tells everyone to choose a bass based on how it feels and sounds to you, and not based on the $$$$ tag. I tried a Yamaha TRB 1005 which I sort of liked. It's cheaper than the Zon, but weighs more, and I'm afraid I might get tired carrying the Yamaha for more than 15 minutes. What should I do? I don't want dad to spend too much money (I told him that already). I'm happy with the bass I have now (I told him that too), but he still wants to get me a "better bass" (sounds like he might be in conflict with his own philosophy). Will a "better" bass help me to grow. Should I wait until I'm a little older before getting my first "better" bass? What other basses might be worth looking into?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont turn down a bass just based on the price. If the zon sounds and plays great, go for it. If a cheaper bass sounds and plays better to you, get that. Its not about the price, its about the enjoyment.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If thats the price range you're looking in, you've got lots of options. Look at a few of the names bantied about here are you'll cobble together a good list.