Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't decide on bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've searched my butt off on these forums yet I still can't come to a good conclusion:

I want to get a cheap bass to see if I like bass, but I want it to last like a year at least.

My choices have come down to the SX SPJ-62 and the SX SJB-62.

Same price, same look. What's the difference?

I want to play metal*, blues, and jazz.

*If anybody wants to say "lololol metal = random noises with pointy shapes roflcopter" they just don't say anything, please.

Thank you.

EDIT: Also, if I just want a practice amp, how much should I be willing to shell out?

2. my first bass was a ibanez gsr200b. what i like about this bass is the neck is kind of slim at the nut end. it was easier for me to get my sausage paws around. cost is around $200. my practice amp is a crate bt-50 also around $200-$250. it has a tuner built in, a headphone jack and also cd inputs. try as many basses as you can they all have a different feel. youll know when you found the right one. good luck and much success. i havent seen the spj or the sjb but my guess is the spj has two pup and a bridge pick up while the sjb probably has a bridge pick up. and the difference is tone.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, I don't have that kind of money to spend, nor am I sure that I am going to stick with this.

Anyway you could describe the difference in tone?

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i dunno what basses they are, but judging from the model names, i'm guessing one is a PJ bass (one P pickups and one J pickup) and one is classic Jazz (2 J pickups). i've heard that PJs are good basses to start on. i'm having one shipped to me right now (which also happens to be a GSR200).

5. No, but sounds like you want to definately go used. You can find a little better bass for a lower price. Check out any used guitar shops in your area, or pawn shops, or maybe there's something in at a Guitar Center that's a trade from someone that bought something there. Just keep trying stuff out until you find the one you like. We can't tell you what to buy; just what we like.

Try before you buy.

How much $$'s are you looking at?

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Not much. I bought an electric guitar for $350 and an amp for $50. But now I think I should have gone with bass like I had originally wanted. So.... I dunno. Up to $200 for guitar max.

Actually, I'll go to GC like you said. Play around for a while and see if I like the feel and sound of bass guitars when they are in my hands. Then I'll come to a decision on how much I'd be willing to spend.

Can I use a cheap bass amp if I'm only going to be playing by myself?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You certainly can buy a cheap lil' amp if its just gonna be for you at home...You won't be able to shake any walls or push too much low end, but it will be enough to hear yourself.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, that's all I really need. As long as it's lower than an electric guitar and I can hear it, then it's good.

Oh, are there any mini-amps for bass? I have a job where I get a lot of time to do nothing. So I take homework, my gameboy, and lately my guitar. But my amp is kind of big, so it looks retarded when I'm carrying all that gear inside.

9. +1 to "BurningSkies". Don't know your background, Poop-loops, (love that name, by the way...), but I spent quite a lot of my early years practicing in my room and jammed with the "greats" on the vinal I had. Learned a lot that way! Don't need a lot of watts for that. Again, maybe you should be looking around at used amps, after you figure out what you want. Craig's list and local shops are good for both basses and amps. I just started recently checking out Craig's list and it's cool what you can find locally. You get to try it out and get it all at once.:D
    Don't be too afraid of Ebay, but watch your seller's feedback ratings and be prepaired to wait it out for shipping.:(
    Good luck to you!;)

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'd look at for the situation you're talking about. That's probably an OK one for a starter on-the-go type situation too.

I use a headphone setup for all my home practicing. I don't even keep an amp here. I can play at 3am if I want an no one cares. My preference for that sort of thing is the Pandora, but it's out of your price range at this point.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'm uneasy of eBay, because I don't know what I'm getting. Especially since every bass/guitar is different. I'll try craig's list, though. My mom uses that extensively, so she'll help me figure it out.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=184700

One from a well known online store...

13. Dude, you're the man! That's how I'd go; brand new, at a guarantee low price. And only $10 more than the one on Ebay, which will probably go up during the bidding.
    I got a Fender 410pro cab through them No problems.

Otherwise, Craig's list is cool. Helps that your mom's on it, too. Support from the P's is half the battle!;)

Oh, yeah; if it's at Musiciansfriend, then it might be found at Guitar Center, too, around the same price. Saves on shipping. Just a thought.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Well, I'm 19, so I don't give a damn about what she has to say about it, it's my money. ;)

That headphone deally doesn't have a regular speaker with it? If I take it to work, I can't wear headphones because the phone rings, or people come in and see me rocking out so hard they get a heart attack and I don't notice.

15. Just pull one side 1/2 way off your ear while you're using it at work. The only thing I noticed is that it will plug into your stereo.

Oh...and I've got a 16 and 13 yr old, respectively, so I guess I have a couple of years yet before they don't "give a damn"... (I'd put a wink here, but I don't know how to in "edit" mode.) LOL. will have to do.

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I found a Spector Ns 2000 for $115. Is that a good deal that I should just jump on? I see that they go for $350...

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Or, what about an Aria IGB-40 for 135?

18. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
  19. I actually own an SX SJB-62 and let me tell you, its amazing what you can get for the money. I think I'm in love with it! lol.