Can't decide on first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Budslide, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Alright, I just got my new SX p-bass today, so now I'm really feeling the pressure to get a friggin amp already. I've been looking on e-bay for about a month, and this is what I've got it narrowed down too. Now I need your advice. First off, if any of these arn't loud enough to hold there own against 1 or 2 guitars, TELL ME PLEASE! Also, I need to keep it under $230 shipped, so around $200, so please don't suggest anything over that price range. Finally, out the amps listed, what do you think is the best overall?

Fender Bassman 25
    Peavey Minx 110
    Ampeg BA-112 (if I can find it cheap enough)
    Behringer BX1200
    Peavey Basic 112
    Crate BX50

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Don't get the crate or the behringer, and you'll be fine. ;)
  3. To be honest those are really all in the practice amp catagory. I think you're gonna have a hard time hanging with 2 guitars using any of them (unless the guitars aren't plugged in or they just play quietly...which is not likely). Throw a drummer in the mix and you can pretty much forget about being heard.

I think you're gonna have to shop the used market to get the kind of power it'll take to make you happy. I wouldn't go any less than 100W...the closer to 200W you get, the better off you'll be.
  4. I have to shop the used market to get the amps listed above, and the guitars arn't going to be playing too loud, not a band setting, just somthing so I can jam along with them in my room or theirs.

I guess I'm pretty much looking for a practice amp that can be heard over some soft guitar playing
  5. The crateBX50 will be fine then. I used to play with a 15 and stayed with 3 guitarists and a drummer.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I started out on a Crate. It worked. It had a hard time keeping up with the guitars and the drums, but for practice it is ok.

For gigging, you will have to get more. An Ampeg BA115 or SWR Basic Black will get you started in gigging.
  7. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Get the Fender Bassman 25 :bassist:
  8. Out of those, get the basic 112. They are cheaper now than a couple years ago when I had mine. I am assuming that you are not gigging heavily as it is your first amp, but I used mine for small gigs, and it worked fine. Even used it for a larger stage gig with a pa. Also in practice, I could be heard with a nice big marshall and drums, and the basic 112 is really the only one out of these amps that I think can do that. Of course the ba-112 would be better, but it is more $. I wish I still had mine for practice.
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I used a Crate BX100 for a while, and I was not particularly impressed with it. It never seemed to have enough force at any volume, with any level of accompaniment. Peavey stuff is solid, but IMO, doesn't have the tone of other amps. I remember liking the Ampeg combos I tried, and I've heard good things about Fender combos too. You're probably better off with one of those two makes.
  10. My Basic 112 didn't cut through with the very loud drummer. Now in another band it's fine. And there are even 2 guitarists. You'd probably get the best sound with ampeg, but as you said, it's hard to get it cheap.

11. since my parent are giving me the $230 for the amp, I'd like to use most of it (hehehe) so I can at least get somthing decent.

If I can get the BA-112, that is my first choice for sure, the probably the Bassman 25, but I still don't know how it could be that loud being only 25W, and I don't have the option trying one out.

If anyone else has these amps, I'd greatly apprecate your opions! Thanks to everyone that has already responded.
  12. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    The Bassman 25 is quite impressive for a 25w amp, you can also hook up an additional 8 ohm cab to it. Also has the tilt back option.

13. It's not on your list, but a Peavey TNT could be found used for $200. It's got a 15 and I practiced with one for quite a while with a drummer and a 2x12 playing guitarist. Once he went to a Mesa half stack, it was over.
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    A Minx 110 won't hang with anything but unplugged acoustic guitars.

The suggestion to find a good used Peavey TNT is an excellent one...

There are a number of Peavey TNTs on for under $200... The one in Louisville, KY even has an EV speaker.

All of MGR's BA112s are out of your price range.

A Bassman 25 is under $200

A Crate B160XL is $190, a Crate BX50 is $175.

There are lots of amps in your price range at Music Go Round...

IMHO, if you want to play with noisy guitars, you're going to need (a lot) more than 25 watts and a 12 in. speaker.
  15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  16. I was looking at the Peavey TNT's, but it would probably have to be pretty cheap, there so big, shipping is usually around $50.

What is louder, the Peavey TNT, or the Bassman 25?

Also, I'm not really going to playing with noisy guitars, if I ever do, it will be at my friends house, and he has a Bassman 400 so I'm not to worried about that, this is really just for me, but I don't want to say its a practice amp, since it will be my only amp and I want to be able to hang with a couple of not-to-loud guitars

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Is there really such a thing as a not-too-loud guitar?:D

The problem is that even little bitty guitar amps can get amazingly loud if the guitarist isn't trying to play clean.
  18. eh, screw it then! lol

Whats the better amp? Bassman 25 or Peavey TNT 100??

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The better sounding, as well as lighter amp would be the bassman 25.