1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cant decide what pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panaran, Mar 30, 2009.

1. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    I have a cheap Peavey Millenium BXP 4 string bass. Its a cheap bass, but I really like the neck, action and just overall feel of the bass.

I played a Fender Jazz with vintage style pickups at a local music store and I really liked the way it sounded, but just didnt dig the feel of the neck at all.

I was thinking of just swapping the pickups for something new/better instead of buying a whole new bass. I'm just wondering if it would make that much of a difference.

I used to do this with my guitars, (was a guitar player for about 7 years before deciding to pick up bass for my friends band) I would buy a starter guitar that played well and just upgrade the pickup down the road, i just didnt know if bass guitars were as adaptable.

My bass uses the same style pickups as a Jazz so anything thats compatible with a Jazz would probably work, however being a guitar player that only recently switched over to bass, I dont really know much about bass pickups.

Im really looking for something that will give me more umph when slapping. Right now i have to hit the strings pretty hard to get enough sound our of them, where as the other higher end basses like the Jazz were much hotter it seemed like. Even after i adjusted my PU height, still wasnt gettin as much sound.

So any recommendations for a PU swap? I want something on the hotter side, but also versatile. My band covers a lot of classic and contemporary rock, so just something thats going to thump.

EDIT: this is a passive bass

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    seymour duncan!!!

3. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah I was actually looking at those. I had an SH-1 for the neck pickup on my Ibanez guitar and loved it. Which one would you recommend? A lot of the ones i saw were active

4. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    I was thinking of the Seymour Duncan SJB-2. They seem like they would be fine for what i want to do, and I found a decent deal on a set. Anybody have experience with these?

EDIT: just did a search for these and there seems to be a lot of positive feedback with em. I think im gonna give em a shot.