1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cant decide what to do- new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bentem, Jun 23, 2003.

1. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Ok, i know this thread has been done before, and i think i've even done something similar, but im really stuck.

At first i wanted a 5- string, but now im pretty surew i want a 4. So, as a result, i have sat at Guitar Center for literaly hours playing all the different basses in the $400-600 range.

Most of the basses i thought i would like, i did, but there were a lot that were not what i suspected. I wanted dsomething that is different from my fender, not totally different, like different color, different pickups, shape, etc. Basically i had no idea wehat i wanted.

Some ones i liked were, Conklin GT-4, SRX-400(?),geddy lee jazz, Sting Sig P, carvin, I also really liked the warwick thumb NT 4, and the MM stingray and sterling, but there out of my price range.

So, I have narrowed it down to a couple. Conklin Groove Tools 4, or a carvin, or something similar.

Then theres still the issuea t the back of my mind of whether i want a 5 string.

Any Suggestions, comments, advice, wisdom would be greatly appreaciated.

2. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    For years I resisted the idea of getting a five string. I didn't feel the need for those lower notes. And I didn't feel that changing my right-hand technique to accomadate the fifth string would be worth whatever minor advantage I would see from the extra string.

But a few years ago, I stumbled upon the idea that with five strings, I could play more notes without having to jump around on the neck as much. From that point of view, I reasoned, the five was actually easier than the four rather than harder.

Finally, earlier this year, I got my first fiver. I love it. But once in a while I get out my four, which I'm still more comfortable with, and I think, "damn, this is fun." It seems easier to go a bit faster on the four, maybe because of the smaller neck, or maybe because I've spent a lot more time on it. The four string neck is starting to feel a bit dinky, but it's still fun.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That is how I felt when I got my six. It is easier to play a wider range of notes w/less hand motion, but I when I get on my four it really feels more comfortable to me. I play the six more, but I still love both.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If your asking Conklin or Carvin, Conklin s**** all over Carvin IMO

As for the debate between 4 or 5, dont worry. If you feel you need to use the low notes, get one. But if your 100% sure you will never need the low B, dont go for it. IMO it never hurts to have the low B, and i personally like to have it to fall back on (thumb rest ect)

Hope that helps!