Can't decide which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocknroller4, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Hey everyone. New to the forum. Have checked out a couple threads over the years but decided to join because I had a question about a purchase.

I am interested in mostly hard rock and metal. So I am looking at these two options:

Schecter Stiletto Stealth 4-string: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STSTH4SBK--schecter-stiletto-stealth-satin-black-4-string

Jackson JS Spectra 4-string: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS3GB--jackson-js-series-spectra-bass-js3-gloss-black

and I guess a third option would be:

Yamaha TRBX304 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TRBX304WH--yamaha-trbx304-white

I'm very keen on the Schecter but it is expensive and so is the hard case. Also it's basswood compared to Poplar for the Jackson or Mahogany for the Yamaha. I am also interested in the Jackson because it's both active/passive with the switch which is pretty cool.

Thanks.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Honestly none of them. I bought a similar Schecter before (P/MM) and immediately returned it. MM pickup had no life to it at all. And I just don't like the looks of the other two. You're probably way better off buying used. You'll be able to get a little more bang for your buck and get a better instrument.

Maybe something these
    Spector Legend 4 standard quilt top gloss bass guitar with gig bag, great player!
    Squier Classic Vibe 70’s Precision Bass | wwplaya
    Sterling By Musicman - SUB-RAY4-White Bass ( B-Stock)
    G&L L-2000 Tribute 2015 Blueburst | Revere-SoundWorks

I would buy any of those 4 over the 3 you listed.

Also, you mentioned a case being expensive. You don't "need" a case molded to your bass, you could always just get a universal case, they typically run much less, or even a padded gigbag. They'll be even cheaper. I can't remember the last time I used a hard case.

3. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Thank you. Funny enough, I am looking at a couple used Spector's right now. Would you buy one that was an older model but had rust on the screws or only cosmetic? I'm looking at one right now for only $200 with EMG SSDs. I tried the Sterling in the store and was too heavy for my shoulder.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Would this one be worth the price? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PERF4BLK--spector-performer-4-solid-black-gloss

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Regarding weight, wider/padded strap can help mitigate the weight of an instrument. People underestimate the value of a good strap.

Rust is no big deal. If it bothers you, you could always just replace screws.

I have no experience with the performer modes. Personally I would spent the extra $100 and get the used Legend I linked above.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Maybe start by doing a search for "best bass for metal." See if anything pops up.

Welcome to TalkBass!

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I see what you did there, you sly fox. :whistle:

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Rocknroller4 :)

Welcome to TB!!!

Maybe make it a Poll? (otherwise you will end up with a hundred options)

Ooops! Too late! :laugh:

back to topic: I will only talk about the most expensive one of the three.

The Stiletto (looks): "Stealth" does not mean invisible and cool. :(

IME these kind of finishes are dust magnets (they alway look dirty!)

and with the basswood body (Nothing wrong soundwise but basswood is rather soft :()

you will (very soon!) have a bunch of dings and scratches that "stand out" like on no other finish!!!!

For $ 490 (used!!) you can find way better!!! Tons of good options out there!

Just my thoughts!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

9. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    490 will get you anything Fender from Mexico used. That's what I would do. No one will look at you sideways if you show up with a Fender. The Jazz bass will give you more tonal variety. The Precision is kinda the standard of basses. I'd buy a Precision in the wildest color you can find

Unless you are touring, a decent gig bag is handier than a hard case.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  10. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Of the 3 you listed: Yamaha.

Don't get me wrong, I love Schecter and used to play them for many years; but I stay away from basswood.

Yamaha aren't as popular in the guitar and bass world as the other two, but they make some seriously great instruments. The 5 way switch lets you very quickly dial in a variety of tones. Passive is easier to gig with, as you don't have to worry about battery failure and stocking up on 9v batteries for each show. The Yamaha will also last a very long time and be as dependable as anything with their name on it.

11. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    IMO, all of them have the pickups squeezed too close to the bridge, or to put it another way, they're sweet spot basses with a vestigal bridge pickup. But that's 24-fret basses for you.

Things to consider: the grain of the neck wood, can you easily replace the pickups, overall quality and playability, LOOKS.

In all three cases, I'd be reluctant to order without trying it first.

The Schecter is easily the sexiest one in the bunch. However, I haven't been impressed with a lot of their recent products in terms of tone...but then at the price who can complain? Back of the neck is painted, so you can be sure the grain is mediocre. Standard pickup cutouts mean you can easily upgrade the pickups. Winner for pickup cutouts, loser because neck is ??? Definite winner for posing with it!

I don't know what Jackson's making these days, but it's a sensible design. Nice long horn, which suggests that maybe the body is light. Look at the grain on the top of that neck though...I'd be worried about that. So, maybe Jackson hasn't changed much. :) I think those pickups are a standard soapbar cutout? Not a Jackson fan, really.

Yamaha, 5-piece neck. Not sure how much of a body cutaway there is, so it might be less comfortable with a pick. (You did say metal, right?) You will never replace those humbuckers. That said, of the three it's the one that's most likely to be a player, based on past performance. Not available in black, or really any truly exciting colors. Even the red gives up and says "well, I mean, I don't want to make waves."

Analysis: Not the Jackson. Yamaha if you want to be reasonably assured of a stable playable setup, like yamaha factory tone, and are fine with white or metallic paint (shiny works well under the lights, but...), Schecter if you want to look METAL, plan to upgrade the pickups next year, and don't care if the neck maybe warps.

(TBH, I'd direct you to the local pawn/used gear store actually, but if I was ordering one of these three to be my main it'd be Yamaha def.)

Rocknroller4 and dBChad like this.
  12. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    On that list, the Yamaha.

Having said that, I bought a used G&L L-2000 Tribute for...well, it was listed at $450, but I had a trade-in, so less than that. The L-2000 would CRUSH all 3 of those basses put together, without even plugging it in! :D:D

Welcome to TB!

lowendrachel likes this.
  13. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Of the three, the Yamaha. They make reliable stuff. But honestly I could suggest any other bass. I'd suggest a Jazz bass from the Squier CV or VM series, or a Mexican Fender.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  14. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Do you have an opportunity to try anything out in person? I also suggest going used and avoiding new basses in this range. You can obtain something much higher up in the used market for the same price. If you have a Guitar Center nearby, you can buy several basses from their Used Section, try them out and return them. If there is a defect with them they will refund the shipping. You can also look at the shipping fee as a "rental fee".

Rocknroller4 and CatchaCuda like this.
  15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Haven't got one of these yet... but they're on my radar... correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like L-2000s are regarded as the swiss army knife of basses. You'd be able to get just about any tone you'd want. (?)

16. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I would go with the stiletto. I think it looks the best.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  17. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    1) Get them off your radar & into your hands! :D

2) Hmm...they are quite Swiss army-ish, but you have to be a little bit patient with that part. There are 3 knobs & 3 switches, & if you plug in, crank everything to 11 (on the bass), it sounds good, but there's sooo much more in there. Even running volume at different levels can have a cool effect. You gotta spend some "getting to know you" time with 'em.

Like John Cleese said in "Meaning of Life", "Why not start her off with a nice kiss, hmm? You don't have to go leaping straight for the ******* like a bull at a gate." Well, if you know it, you know it! :D:D

18. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Get the Yamaha! Good luck!

19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Looking for used, and in the case of this one, since it'll be a Standard L2000, I'm being patient. I have to be careful... I'm at 3 basses that are on the higher priced range (Meaning not a foundation) to contend with so I have to go with the saying, happy wife... happy life...

Funny thing... there's not a similar rhyme for happy bassist

20. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    As stated, "try before you buy" is a good idea here.

I like the TRBX304, but I'm GASsing for a 605.

Don't rule out LTD, essentially ESP's "Squier" line. I love my D4 and miss my B50. The F series certainly look metal oriented.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021