Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cant decide...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSELF, Jul 19, 2004.

1. BASSELF

BASSELF

Apr 19, 2004
    ottawa
    At the local music store are two basses that I have my eye on. One is a 1972 Rickembacker or however u spell and the other is a 2004 Gibson Thunderbird. The Thunderbird is $2200
    and the Rickembacker is $1300...can some1 help me out on making my decision? Please give me some good/bad qualities about both and some info to back up your decision. Thanks. :bassist:

2. I never tried both basses...
    But I never heard good things from Gibson basses!

Just what I heard
    Vince

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Thunderbird is incredibly over priced!

Besides that they neck dive like crazy. You'll be working so hard to keep the neck in a good playing position you wont be able to enjoy playing the bass.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Indeed. Go Rick.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I own both of these basses myself (however, mine are vintage). I agree the T-Bird is overpriced for a new bass.

Both are great sounding and looking basses IMO!

I personally play my Rickenbacker far more than I do my Thunderbird.

If the Rickenbacker is truly a 72 (Its ser # would start with the letter L), and it's in very good condition without any mods, go for it. The value of early 70's 4001 Ric's are quickly climbing.

Ultimately, you will have to decide which bass plays the best, sounds the best and feels the best in your opinion. You'll know then which one to buy.

Cheers,
    TD

6. thats exactly what i was thinking. if you can get a vintage rick for the price of a brand new rick, its a steal. i would get that one, hands down. also i agree with everyone else, the t-bird is way too expensive.

but try both, see which one you like better. thats whats more important

Charlie

7. Listen to my Rickenbrotha's

Ric all the way!

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I <3 RIC.. He ^ <3 RIC.. You should too.

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Rick is just a better bass anyway. You can score a new Rick for cheaper then that from Bassnw as well.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yet another vote for the Ric. Rickenbackers aren't for everyone, but if you like the tone of both basses, the Ric is the winner.

I think Thunderbirds sound great, but like others have said, that's not a good deal, while the Ric is (assuming it's not been messed with). Rickenbackers are so easy to play because of the medium scale, too.

I just got back from playing a 1973 Ric at a music store...I was tempted even though I already have a '78.

Marshall

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    RIC!!!! That's not that bad a price IMHO. IN Amsterdam I saw one a 1600 euro, and over here they go for like 1500 CAN.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Before you buy the Rick, check the frets. If they are worn down, it will cost a lot of money for a proper refret, with the lacquered fingerboard.