1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can't find a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sqlb3rn, Oct 28, 2018.

1. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    SE US
    I recently bought a used amp and it poopie out this morning. So I returned it for a refund and now I have nothing to play. I could replace it but it would be financially stressful until after the holidays. I've also had zero success finding a band or even a drummer to play with in almost 2 years, so poopy day. I play thrash/death metal and live in the bible belt, and I'm pushing 40 so been thinking about just hanging up the idea of playing in a band. I have tried starting and joining bands as both bass and guitar player, but if there's any talented metal players in my area, they ain't on craigslist, or those stupid facebook groups that everyone just abuses to plug gigs no one cares about. I even almost said something about jamming to a guitar center employee testing my broke ass amp head... because he actually could play in a musical way. Sure, I've had bubba gump hit me up wanting to jam with a line 6 combo and he needs a ride... but guys like the dudes I used to jam with seem to have gotten old and quit.

Just venting, now I have hard choices to think about.

2. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    SE US
    poopy poopy shag shag

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Keep your line in the water. Something will turn up.

sqlb3rn likes this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, Keep at it. I hadn't gigged for years and then finally found a band this year and did a few gigs.

It was fun as heck. I'm in my 50's and I will always be looking for the next gig.

I play every day for 2 hours standing up. So I am ready to gig physically as well.

sqlb3rn likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As I told the BL in the band I recently joined, I'd rather play good gigs with good musicians than play my favorite music in front of the staff at a bar or club.

filmtex, sqlb3rn and Bodeanly like this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Amen.

7. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    SE US
    Thanks for the replies. I would be happy to play other styles of rock music on bass, as far as guitar I am very narrow and can only play/write one style of music. I like Karnivool, Muse, anything that sounds awesome. I recently saw a "desert music" documentary on youtube and got turned onto the band Kyuss... long endless down-tuned rock jams in the middle of the desert under the night sky. Sometimes I tell my wife I was born 10 years too late, just missed the party. :bassist:

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

...and i'm thinking i was born 20-30 to early! :laugh:

if you give up = that's on you! ;)