1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't find a neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'm in the process of making a bass, and I would probably have it done by now, if it weren't so hard to find the neck I want. I'd really like it to go with the symmetrical body, so I'd like a 2+2 headstock design, if not a symmetrical one. And I'm one of the few and unfortunate left handers, so I'll need one with the nut reversed. I don't feel confident enough to flip it myself. I'd also like the headstock to tilt back. I was thinking about Schecter's Tempest headstock, but after weeks of trying to reach their custom shop, I was just informed that they no longer make custom guitars. Does anyone have any clues, or am I asking too much?

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    if you found a neck you like but with a righthanded nut, it'd be really easy to change the nut... that'd be your easiest choice

and by "in the process of making a bass", what do you mean? building one with parts, making it from scratch, having one made, etc?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Warmoth makes a 3 on a side symmetrical headstock for guitars, and the 3+2 almost symmetrical design of the Gecko 5 string. They also have the paddlehead available for guitars, where you can carve your own headstock shape. Surely they can make a bass neck this way.

Have you called them to see if they can help you?

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I am also building a bass, and I finally found a place that will build me a custom neck... For a hefty price, but almost completely custom. try http://www.musikraft.com. Plan on spending between 300 and 500 $$$ though.

5. Warmoth will make any headstock shape you want as long as it isn't copyrighted.

Also, filing the nut is a pretty easy job. Just get a nut blank from Warmoth and a tiny round file from your local hardware store.

6. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Ooh! I'm liking the Gecko neck you're referring to. The bass was originally gonna be a 4 string, but I think I might make it a 5 string.
    By "making a bass," I mean making one from assorted parts. Pretty much the only thing I'm doing is the body, which was originally going to be kind of an SG-type thing. But with the Gecko neck, something else is probably in order.