Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't find a neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'm in the process of making a bass, and I would probably have it done by now, if it weren't so hard to find the neck I want. I'd really like it to go with the symmetrical body, so I'd like a 2+2 headstock design, if not a symmetrical one. And I'm one of the few and unfortunate left handers, so I'll need one with the nut reversed. I don't feel confident enough to flip it myself. I'd also like the headstock to tilt back. I was thinking about Schecter's Tempest headstock, but after weeks of trying to reach their custom shop, I was just informed that they no longer make custom guitars. Does anyone have any clues, or am I asking too much?

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    if you found a neck you like but with a righthanded nut, it'd be really easy to change the nut... that'd be your easiest choice

and by "in the process of making a bass", what do you mean? building one with parts, making it from scratch, having one made, etc?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Warmoth makes a 3 on a side symmetrical headstock for guitars, and the 3+2 almost symmetrical design of the Gecko 5 string. They also have the paddlehead available for guitars, where you can carve your own headstock shape. Surely they can make a bass neck this way.

Have you called them to see if they can help you?

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I am also building a bass, and I finally found a place that will build me a custom neck... For a hefty price, but almost completely custom. try http://www.musikraft.com. Plan on spending between 300 and 500 $$$ though.

5. Warmoth will make any headstock shape you want as long as it isn't copyrighted.

Also, filing the nut is a pretty easy job. Just get a nut blank from Warmoth and a tiny round file from your local hardware store.

6. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Ooh! I'm liking the Gecko neck you're referring to. The bass was originally gonna be a 4 string, but I think I might make it a 5 string.
    By "making a bass," I mean making one from assorted parts. Pretty much the only thing I'm doing is the body, which was originally going to be kind of an SG-type thing. But with the Gecko neck, something else is probably in order.