Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't find a really good acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I know this may be a "dying breed" question, but I have searched hard for a useful acoustic bass but the only two I have found with an appreciable low-end unplugged is the Martin B1 [high $] and, believe it or not, a VERY cheap Stagg model something-or-other which the store ditched before I could talk $$ with them [it had a piezo problem].

I have tried the Tacoma Chief, the Ibanez-something, Ovation [held my nose... sorry], Fender BG-29 which would be my default if I don't find something good, Guild, .... what else?
    only the terribly nose-heavy Martin really produced an honest E but the cheap Stagg was pretty punchy through most of the range.

Anyway, if someone has found nirvana in this elusive breed, please clue me

zapp
    p.s. honestly I don't care about what the plugged-in sound is like because that if fixable. its the unplug....

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have owned the Guild B30-E...and have played the MartinB1.

now I own the Epiphone El Capitan..all maple..cutaway with built in electronics. Sounds nice unplugged as well. I paid 400.00 bucks second hand.

check one out if you can.

[​IMG]

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I really like the Larrivee' ABG that I have. I thought it sounded as good if not better than the Martin I A/B'ed it against. I also would recommend the Taylor ABG. The thing about an ABG is either go cheap or go expensive as the mid-priced ones are not appreciably better than the cheapies.

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    There has been a lot of talk lately about ABGs, so do a search and youll find a lot of recent opinions and whatnot.