1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't find a really good acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I know this may be a "dying breed" question, but I have searched hard for a useful acoustic bass but the only two I have found with an appreciable low-end unplugged is the Martin B1 [high $] and, believe it or not, a VERY cheap Stagg model something-or-other which the store ditched before I could talk $$ with them [it had a piezo problem].

I have tried the Tacoma Chief, the Ibanez-something, Ovation [held my nose... sorry], Fender BG-29 which would be my default if I don't find something good, Guild, .... what else?
    only the terribly nose-heavy Martin really produced an honest E but the cheap Stagg was pretty punchy through most of the range.

Anyway, if someone has found nirvana in this elusive breed, please clue me

zapp
    p.s. honestly I don't care about what the plugged-in sound is like because that if fixable. its the unplug....

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have owned the Guild B30-E...and have played the MartinB1.

now I own the Epiphone El Capitan..all maple..cutaway with built in electronics. Sounds nice unplugged as well. I paid 400.00 bucks second hand.

check one out if you can.

[​IMG]

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I really like the Larrivee' ABG that I have. I thought it sounded as good if not better than the Martin I A/B'ed it against. I also would recommend the Taylor ABG. The thing about an ABG is either go cheap or go expensive as the mid-priced ones are not appreciably better than the cheapies.

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    There has been a lot of talk lately about ABGs, so do a search and youll find a lot of recent opinions and whatnot.