Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't find reviews of GK RBS115 or RBH115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have a GK1001RB 2x10 combo. The combo has two 16 ohm speakers in it wired to a 8 ohm load, with around 340 watts on tap. The head is stable at 4 ohms, so I would like to get another cab. I would honestly like to stick with the GK cabs, since they can stack with my combo. I tried to search on the GK 115s, but everyone focuses on the head, and I can't find any reviews on the actual cabs. I would like the RBS115 ($379) based on price, if it has the ability to handle the power that the 1001RB is going to be able to throw at it in 4 ohm (540 watts split between the 2x10 and the 15). The cab is only rated at 200 watts RMS, and I can't find one locally to listen to for myself. Has anyone heard it?

I am also willing to upgrade to the 115RBH ($630) if it is worth it. I know that their are other cabs out there that are probably cheaper, but I would like to keep all GK. I can't find any reviews of that speaker either. The cab is much bigger, and I figure it probably has a much higher power handling and output.

Has anyone tried this combo with one of these extension cabs? since it is all on one channel, do you have the flexibility that you need?

I am not against running the 410RBH ($899) in conjuntion with my 2x10 combo, but there is no way to get equal power distribution to all speakers. You can get either 4 or 8 ohm, which is nice, but it still doesn't help me. With the 8 ohm cab, 270 some watts to the 2x10, and 270 watts to the 4x10. I see the 2x10 having issues at loud volumes. I can't run the 4 ohm since my amp isn't 2.66 ohms stable. That would even out the power, but the amp will shut down, I figure.

Lastly, I could always use an additional 2x10 ($599), but what fun is that! I would end up having like $1800 in a 540 watt amp and 4 10s. At least I know that all 4 tens would run be recieving the same power, and would probably start breaking up at about the same time, but I wouldn't gain any more extra bottom, it would just be louder.

Help! No one I have talked to personally knows about GK cabs, including the Guitar Center near me.

Thanks for everything you can tel me,
    Wes

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I regularly gigged with an RBS115 several years ago. I thought it was an excellent 15 that kicked out a good, strong low end, especially if you load it against a wall. That rear port results in some serious thump! I used it alone and with an RBS210, mostly with a 400RB or 800RB. I think it will handle your power easily as long as you don't over-do it.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The RBS series has been discontinued.The RBH 1-15 is very good though.Flea is currently using that cab in his live rig so that has to say something.I heard a guy using a 1001RB head,RBH 2-10 and RBH 1-15 in a small club and it sounded amazing.

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I didnt know they were discontinuing that line. Makes since I guess since Guitar Center is advertising huge sales on them in the past month.

I have been thinking some about that power issue of my 2x10s and thinking that they are going to start distorting before the bigger extension cab. For a recap, my GK1001RB head puts out something like 540 watts at 4 ohms. I have an 8 ohm 2x10, and I want an extension cab. I need to get an 8 ohm extension cab to get down to 4 ohms.

each 10 in my cab is 16 ohms wired in parallel, and not 2 4 ohms wired in series. This might be the huge factor since mathmatically, although 540 watts is going to the whole stack, power will be devided at 1/2 to the 15", and 1/4 power to each 10". That is only around 125 watts to each 10, which should be able to handle well. Now to find a 15" that can handle 270 watts or so.
    Wes

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The RBH 1-15 handlles 400 watts and would probably be the perfect match for your 1001RB combo.You might be able to get a good deal on one of those right now since the white "Gallien-Krueger" writing on the grill has been replaced by a chromed'
    Gallien-Krueger" emblem.So those have actually kind of been discontinued as well but it's really just a facelift to match the new look all of the amps/heads have as well.Anyways,you might be able to get a good deal on one of the older RBH cabs at GC.Any of the online dealers that stock Gallien-Krueger might have them on sale as well.Good Luck:D

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    There is a 15" RBH at my local GS. It has been there for well over 5 months. I am going to go see what I can get if for. It is nice to know that I just spent $1200 on a combo that has probably got a new facelift too, since I hear that the 1001RB head now has more power than mine. Oh well, what are you going to do. It gets loud enough for me.
    Thanks for the help,
    Wes

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The RBH series will be around for a good while. UNTIL a new series of cabs is completed.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Sorry Trip,didn't want to lead anyone to believe the RBH series was going anywhere.The new look of the RBH and SBX cabs is awesome though:bassist:

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I got the 115RBH tonight. Holly crap. It is exactly the sound I have been trying to sqeeze out of the 2x10, and couldn't exactly get. Our drummer is so loud that I was actually playing the bass guitar pretty hard to compensate, and not really getting a clean sound out of my 10s. At the same amp volume and just plugging in the 115, it throws out some room filling bass. I was banging out the "Hate to say I told you so" bass solo, and the other members of the band couldn't believe how much bass it was cranking out. It was good, clean, low bass with tight definition and no coloration that I could hear. Im super happy with it. Thanks for all of the help with this decision.
    Wes

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I told you that 1001RB/RBH 2-10 would sound amazing with the 1-15 RBH.Congratulations:bassist:

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Cantstandsya, I pretty much based my decision on what I wanted and what you told me about it. Thanks for telling my your true experiences with this setup. It was well worth it.
    Wes

12. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks trip!

Here is a pic. I still have to rotate the GK grill so it matches when I put the 115 on it's side. GK tells their customers not to run it like this for stability reasons, but they make both cabs interlocking so you can do this. Very amusing. The wheels on the back of the combo just slightly get in the way. I never use them, and might remove em so it seats better. It isn't going anywhere though.
    Wes

http://www.carsubs.com/MVC-677S.JPG

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Looks very nice.Now I have G.A.S. for one of those to go under my RBH 4-10:D