1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't find where this wire belongs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kirkaxe, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Kirkaxe

Kirkaxe

Feb 27, 2016
    Bass was acting up and after opening it up i found this wire hanging by itself. I cant determine where it belongs. Anyone have a clue?

3214541-af3ab19e32f92e2f75af7365c63f2d51.

Attached Files:

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Looks like the signal wire to the jack. It may have been attached to the white wire that has no insulation on the connection.

Sure there's not another piece of loose wire that's missing?

Another photo or 2 from different angles would help.

3. Kirkaxe

Kirkaxe

Feb 27, 2016
    Thanks for the reply I will upload some more shots.

4. Kirkaxe

Kirkaxe

Feb 27, 2016
    Here are a couple more shots. I tried to get best angle but the lighting is harsh. I should try natural light i suppose.

There doesn't seem to be another piece of wire kicking around in there.

I will try adding the black/red wire to the white and see if that does anything.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it goes to the white/black wire connection sticking up. If so, that needs to be soldered and insulated (heat-shrink tubing is good).

Do you have an active pickup in that bass?

Why is there no wire from the third terminal on the jack to the pots/system ground?

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Above is correct. That is your signal output and should be tied in to the black and white wires that are twisted together. You are also missing the main circuit ground.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Note that that is stereo jack - that wire was the power wire for a preamp that is turned on when you put the plug in.

Do I see a battery in the photo? Do you have active pickups? If so - they are on all the time - there is no switch.

Also, there is no GROUND wire attached to the remaining terminal - that bass should not even play at all. Perhaps there is some shield paint in the cavity giving you a ground. No wonder it is acting up.

That bass should really be completely re-wired properly.

Growlmonkee likes this.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The power wire is tied into the pickup. The battery negative is attached to the ring, it is switched on by shunting the ring (battery negative) to the sleeve (circuit ground) by using a mono phone jack on the stereo output jack. The positive is not switched, the wire s the signal wire.

9. I believe that red/blk wire should be connected to the white one coming from the middle lug of the volume pot.The black one coming from the casing of the tone pot is an earth wire and should be soldered to the sleeve connector of the jack.

I have no idea why the black and white wires would be twisted together.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    That's right-
    I didn't see the black wire was to the tone pot casing- couldn't get the photo to zoom in.

The white and black wires need to be separated.

The black wire goes to the remaining empty terminal on the jack,

and the red/blk wire gets connected to the white wire- that's why they are the lengths they are.

11. Kirkaxe

Kirkaxe

Feb 27, 2016
    Thanks all for your help. I was able to get it going again. I appreciate it.