Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't fit a .130 Low B into LX's bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I hate my Spector Euro LX. It's consitently pissed me off and now it won't even fit a .130 gauge Low B into the saddle. The ball end won't fit into the saddle. I've tried everything. Has anyone else had this problem? I am seriously about to take it back....

2. I managed it at last. What I did was attach te string to the tuning peg as I would normally, then fit the thinner part of the string into the bridge, then pull the fat bit into the saddle by tightening the tuner. I also tapped it into place using a hammer. Is this ok? Will this harm the neck at all?

3. Beam me up Scottie. :) :)

4. Eh? don't post in this if you can't help.

5. With all due respect, I'll post whenever I choose to do so.

6. :mad:

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I thought you loved your spector.

8. I do now, I fixed the strings. It just had strings on that went dead within about 2 weeks and were too light for my playing style. I sometimes use a pick, and when I dug in a little harder, they'd rattle on the fret board. Anyway, is it ok the way I fitted the string? The neck isn't like gonna snap or anything? I just want to be absolutely certain my bass is ok.

9. I had the same problem with my Spector. I just slightly widened the groove with a small rectangular file. Took me about two minutes, didn't harm the bass, and problem is fixed forever. :cool:

10. What you probably did was mash the windings together to where they conformed better to the shape of the keeper slot. This type of thing happens regularly with the larger gauges and some bridges. It's not the speaking part of the string, it's the loop that goes around the ball and and comes back under the outer winding. That can get a little large sometimes. I would think the top loading Spectors wouldn't have that much of a problem but I don't know everything. I've had to enlarge holes on passthru bridges before. I've found these to be better solutions than using a hammer:

- Try turning the string in different orientations to see if there is one particular place that it will slip in without forcing. You'll notice there are flat spots on various sides. One of those might be the key.

- Remove the silk on strings that have it. This just takes up space that you need to get it to fit in the slot.

- Use a pair of large flat jaw pliers to gently squeeze the windings together and tighten them up a little. You won't need much.

When you force things like that, you run the risk of taking off some finish from the hardware. If the piece is steel that might lead to rust. If it's a white metal, it could be the beginning of flaking. Not necessarily, just a possibility.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are like me, you probably don't want to give in on your string choice, but if the other suggestions fail, I would recommend going to a slightly smaller gauge string. You might be able to find a .128" B which should feel pretty similar to a .130".

I know it isn't the ideal solution, but it is a thought.

12. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, this seems to be an issue with Spector bridges. I have a Rebop5 (same bridge as yours). I can tell you that any tapered string should fit.

As far as conventionally wound strings, I've used Rotosound and D'Addario successfully. I've found that DR, SIT, and Ken Smith strings *don't* work on a Spector bridge. There may be others that do or don't work; I've just commented on the ones that I have direct knowledge of.

Tom