Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't get a smooth warm sound out of my L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Jan 30, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I guess this bass isn't meant to sound that way,that's the only conclusion i can come up with.i changed the strings to nickel,messed with the tone knob and different configuarations on the amp...it still growls and bites.I love the way this thing feels and plays,but i just want a smooth round tone like a p,and can't dial it in on this bass.I got a real good deal on this baby($250 at a pawn shop),it's an series with the older style headstock,and was hoping to get the sound i want out of it.maybe a change of pick ups would help,do they even make replacement pick ups for the humbuckers that would sound smoother? :confused:

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    What kind of amp are you playing through? I had no trouble getting a nice round tone out of my L-2500 through my SVP-Pro/RMX-SVT610 rig.

And if you do change pickups, I'll buy the old ones from you.

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You've had it at

Neck pup only
    passive mode
    treble rolled way off
    series mode

and nothing? Maybe some flatwounds and the output volume not on fully? I can't wait to get one of these bad boys to fool around with. Good luck.

*edit* I meant flats. Been shooting up too much espresso this morning :D

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    try a set of TI Flats.

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'd try flatwounds, too. There's a much bigger difference in sound between nickel rounds and flats than stainless rounds and nickel rounds.

Of course, the wise guy answer would be to get a P-bass. ;)

You got a great deal at $250. Congratulations and enjoy your bass!