1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't get gauge I want. Which should I choose?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bking0217, Apr 20, 2017.

1. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    Thanks to Fender boning me again, I just waited two weeks for Bass Strings Online to find out that the gauge of Fender flats I ordered were discontinued so that portion of my order ended up getting cancelled. Oh well, we're all at the mercy of the vender, in this case, Fender. D'Addario doesn't make a 45-105 flat that I've seen so should I go with 45-100 or 50-105? If it were you, which would you choose. Looking for old school thump. Maybe I'm going the complete wrong direction and need to be set straight?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I've made this comparison & 0.045" - 0.100" is less unbalanced than 0.050" - 0.105"

rmars and Roberto Nunez like this.
  3. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    I appreciate that. That's what I needed to know.

4. You're not talking about the 9050CL (45-60-80-105), are you?

5. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    Yep.

6. Fender must be the dumbest company when it comes to discontinuing something that's good.

I have two sets in stock that are not active right now. Hopefully they'll last me a while.

7. What's so stupid about Fender is when they brought back the CL set a little over a year ago, they didn't even bother updating the info on their website despite my numerous emails to them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    bking0217 likes this.
  8. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    I have the worst luck with ordering strings. In July 2015, I tried ordering some DR Legends from bso and DR dropped the ball. After 3 weeks of waiting I got impatient and cancelled the order. Like an idiot, I blamed bso and and told myself I'd never use them again (it was my first order with them). In the time since, I started my own company (unrelated to music) and now understand being at the mercy of the vendor. I decided to try bso again and now Fender drops the ball. I blam Fender for taking almost three weeks to tell bso the strings are discontinued. BSO is not at fault.

9. Good thing this whole deal is not upsetting me as much as it could have. Fortunately, I'm starting to move away from flats and if I ever end up with an extra bass specifically for my Fender flats, it will only be a "specialty bass" for occasional use.

bking0217 likes this.
  10. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    What? They've discontinued the CL set again already? I never even got around to trying it... gotta act fast sometimes, I guess...

bking0217 likes this.
  11. My main bass (Am Std P) will have a set of rounds in the next couple of months. I've just ordered a custom set of the GHS Boomers. Can you guess what gauges? 45-60-80-105!

SirMjac28 and bking0217 like this.
  12. @bking0217, here's one workaround... (recommended by @iiipopes)

Get the 9050L set (45-60-80-100) and get a single 105 of the Ernie Ball flat (regular, NOT Cobalt), which is the closest thing to the Fender 105.

13. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    The light gauge has also been discontinued.

14. Are you sure about that? Not according to BSO site.

15. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    According to the email I got from bso yesterday, the L and CL are both discontinued.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    mercy of the vendor is understated

I was on a huge project & the vendor delivered their valves & 33% of them leaked

so we then had to wait for them to produce more & ship them to us, or pay a LOT more for other valves & then have to deal with mixed & matched branding throughout the project

when they delivered the second set of valves, 50% of those leaked, probably because of the rush they hadn't been properly QC inspected

in the end the contractor I worked for took the hit & ordered the same valves from the German (head office) of the manufacturer & paid out the nose for them

BTW, many of the originally delvered valves failed later on, and my friends who worked on the rig told me about it.

bking0217 likes this.
  17. bking0217

bking0217

May 15, 2015
    Apopka, FL
    I certainly understand this, and at the end, the only one that looks bad is the one the customer had contact with. They typically don't want to hear about problems with the vendor.

18. I think the two sets of the CL I have in my stash have just grown exponentially in resale value. ;):D

Roberto Nunez and bking0217 like this.
  19. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Ugh. Those are my favorite flats.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Why is it that the guage is so important? I would argue that the tension and feel of multiple brands of flats the same guage will be totally different. As long as you can find the tension, feel and tone you like, forget what size the strings are.

It's kind of like guys who unplug their passive jazz from an amp and plug in a modern active bass and then say "Why does my bass sound like crap? The bass in on 7, the treble on the and the gain is on 5 just like it should be...." Forget the numbers and use your fingers and ears to pick which strings you will run with next. Start a thread asking "What strings have a similar feel and tone to (insert whatever discontinued string you're pissed about here)?"

jamro217, jfh2112, pudgychef and 2 others like this.