Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't Get My Amp To Sound Good...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GSRLessard14, Feb 26, 2006.

1. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hey.

So, I have an Ampeg BA-115, that sounded sweet in-store, but these days I can't seem to get a good sound out of it. Maybe I just suck at EQing, but it seems like everything I dial in makes my bass sound hollow and generally blech... enough to make me prefer playing unplugged. It seems like it has good days and bad days... but i dunno why it's so damn hard to find a good tone. Maybe it's the combination of what I'm dialing into on my bass' controls and what I"m EQing on the amp? :meh:

2. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Did you have your bass at the store?

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'm not super familiar with that amp or your bass... but generally, a flat eq setting is better. Set everything flat and see how it sounds

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    like brothernewt said..............set them all to the middle and then adjust each EQ to 0 in turn to get a feel for what range it is covering then go on from there............

I find a tone that works for me is the following

Bass = 5
    Low Mid = 4
    High Mid = 6
    Treble = 6/7

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Are you talking about your tone at home practicing, or out in a gigging situation? At home you might find that cutting mids makes things sound a little more pleasing to the ear, while on the gig it leads to absolute disaster. I generally run flat, how do you have your eq set?

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    How old are your strings? Is your battery still good in your bass (actives?). Sometimes, even the room you are in can change the sound very dramatically

7. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    Funny someone posts this...I have the same problem. I made a similar thread about it too:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232314

I'm not completely sure what flat is. I'm not a noob at playing bass, just the EQ'ing part, because it's new to me. Flat means...all the tone dials halfway? I'm guessing? So all 3 tone knobs on my bass at the halfway point, and treble/mid/bass on my amp all at 5? (5 = Halfway on my amp)? Or does flat mean everything all the way down?

8. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I bought the amp before I had my VJ.

My strings are new.

I don't gig yet, so it's just me practicing in my dorm.

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    The BA 115 is rear ported correct?
    That is the problem IMO.
    I'm having the same problem w/a rear ported Ampeg @ church.
    The cab works on the proximity effect. It needs a wall right behind it to get good bass response.

10. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hrmm... I have mine under my bed, which is raised. The speaker is facing the wall so i can access the controls which are mounted on the rear on the top of the amp.

11. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    might be your placement... if you set all at flat and it still sounds horrible, take it out from under the bed, point the speaker at you and compare.

Sound echoing around under the bed before getting to your ears can do all kinds of things that a 3 band eq might not be able to fix.

12. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hrmmm... I'll have to try moving it. Thanks for the replies guys.

And another thing...

Why does my bass sound PERFECT through my ba-115 with headphones, but gross when not using headphones?

13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Because your headphones aren't rear ported.:p

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Dorm rooms aren't known for their great acoustics - mine sucks pretty hard. I have a nice amp there - a GK 200MB - and it sounds not very good in that room.

15. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hrmm... okay, so how do i make my amp less rear-ported?

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Trade it in for one that isn't.

17. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Set the "style" selector to number 3 - that is flat.

I really think that is sounds best when it is turned up. It sounds "good" when practicing by myself, but it sounds "very good" when I get to crank it up with the band.

18. Put a sock in the port. That should get rid of some muddyness which is common in a small room. You also probably want to aim the speaker at you by tilting the cab. If you aim the speaker at a wall you'll probably get some nasty reflections and you'll lose a lot of the clarity that comes from the higher frequencies.

You'll want to set the EQ on your amp and bass to flat after you move the amp. I would suggest trying different locations until you hear something you like.

19. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Damn, threads drop fast in this forum.

Thanks guys, I"ll try moving it and the sock trick this weekend. I really hope I can come close to achieving that tone I hear when I use headphones.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A bra works better <dah-duh-bump>.

Actually, if you have to close up a port you are either doing something wrong with your EQ, your string and pickup choices or your technique - or your cab is placed poorly in the room or has a design that is beyond crappy.