1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't get my G string to intonate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wombolombo, Dec 6, 2003.

1. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    My G string won't intonate at the 12th fret vs the open string. I've got the saddle as far forward as it will go before coming loose and it's still 20 cents-ish flat.

* It's a new bass, but it has intonated before.

* I just changed strings...put on DR Hi Beams (the G is a .040)

* E, A & D strings are intonated perfectly.

Thoughts? Help?

**Update - the intonation was bugging me so much(and I have 2 gigs tomorrow) that I just cut my losses and threw on a set of D'Addarios...45's to 100's...and it works fine. I know that the DR strings are a little highter maintainence and 'delicate'...is it possible that I damaged the G string at some point so that it wouldn't intonate correctly?

2. Sounds more like a guage difference to me!

You may need to get a longer spring and bolt for that string saddle.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That is worth a try. I had to do the same thing for the G and C strings on my Cirrus 6. The stock screws that came with the Hipshot bridge were too short. I was able to use the original springs, though.

4. Sounds like the core of the G has broken and you are just wrapping the string's outer windings around the tuner post.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps you just got a bad string...I understand that it happens. I personally have never had a problem with DRs and I have them on all but one of my basses...

You ought to ask DR for a new string...