Can't get my G string to intonate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wombolombo, Dec 6, 2003.

1. wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    My G string won't intonate at the 12th fret vs the open string. I've got the saddle as far forward as it will go before coming loose and it's still 20 cents-ish flat.

* It's a new bass, but it has intonated before.

* I just changed strings...put on DR Hi Beams (the G is a .040)

* E, A & D strings are intonated perfectly.

Thoughts? Help?

**Update - the intonation was bugging me so much(and I have 2 gigs tomorrow) that I just cut my losses and threw on a set of D'Addarios...45's to 100's...and it works fine. I know that the DR strings are a little highter maintainence and 'delicate' it possible that I damaged the G string at some point so that it wouldn't intonate correctly?
  2. Sounds more like a guage difference to me!

You may need to get a longer spring and bolt for that string saddle.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is worth a try. I had to do the same thing for the G and C strings on my Cirrus 6. The stock screws that came with the Hipshot bridge were too short. I was able to use the original springs, though.
  4. Sounds like the core of the G has broken and you are just wrapping the string's outer windings around the tuner post.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Perhaps you just got a bad string...I understand that it happens. I personally have never had a problem with DRs and I have them on all but one of my basses...

You ought to ask DR for a new string...