1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't get nasty funk tone from MXR M-82

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I've owned an M-82 for over a month and like it a lot. One thing that I cannot get from it is a nasty wah-wah funky tone. To me, the M-82 sounds too smooth for such an application. Am I missing something? Or, should I add something like the Q-Tron?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Different filters do sound different. I haven't tried that MXR, but there have been other filters that I passed along because they were too clean and polite for me.

The Q-Tron is certainly one you should check out. Also try using a bit of overdrive with any filter (before or after, whichever sounds better to you) to get more nasty filter tone.

3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    +1!

I use a Pork Loin set at really low gain before my envelope filters and I can hit the Sir Psycho Sexy filter tone spot on with the combo.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The M-82 can definitely get nasty. It's with out a doubt one of the most aggressive bass specific filters on the market. But it can also be very sweet.

Just spend some more time with it.

I'm a Dunlop/MXR endorser

5. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I think I'm having the same issue. My problem with it seems to be I can't get anything but a loud, muddy mess from it. I'm sure it's me considering all the rave reviews here on TB, but I simply cannot figure it out. I get more bubbly funk from my Digitech Bass Synth Wah set to the envelope filter. I dialed up the sensitivity and played with the Q, FX, and Decay, but find myself really having to dig in, bridge pickup only, volume knob cranked, and still it only works a little bit. I'm playing flatwounds (Chromes). Could that be it? It's 3rd in my chain after my TU-2 and MXR Octave (the Digitech is 4th). Any help on this would be appreciated. (Hoping to add to this thread, not hijack it) :bag:

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

My M-82 is second after my tuner. I also have an MXR bass Octave on my board. place yje octave pedal after your M-82 and you will notice how your M-82 really opens up.

7. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I'll switch them and check it out. Thanks for the input!

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

You're welcome.

9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I'm having the same problem except I don't need to dig in to activate the filter. I'm sure I haven't mastered the M-82 but, to me, the Decay isn't fast enough and the Q is not wide enough. Is this partially due to the fact that the M-82 uses only a BP filter? I don't know if synth programming applies here, but when you need massive resonant filter sweep on an analogue synth (a la the intro of Tom Sawyer), you use a LP filter, not a BP or HP filter.

10. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Well last night I switched the M-82 and MXR octave pedals on my board, and I didn't hear any difference. Tonight I'm going to try and run the M-82 solo to see what I get. For all I know, I may be trying to push too many pedals in series (although I never - OK rarely - have more than one on at a time). Boss TU-2> M-82> MXR Octave> Digitech Bass Synth Wah> EH Big Muff Pi> Boss FL-3> Boss CEB-3> Boss DD-3

Additionally I may run it on a 9V battery, as it's currently daisy chained to my Boss PSA-120 power supply. I'll check the amperage requirements. I also might shoot some vids and post them. All depends on what the baby allows. :D

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The fact may be that the MXR just isn't the filter for you. Band pass filters have some extra snap and pop to them (no crackle thankfully) and a distinctive voice but not the big, thick sweeps of a low pass filter.

Filters are a very individual thing, not only because we all have different tastes but because they react to each person's gear and technique slightly differently.

I'd recommend trying out a low pass filter (or one that switches between LP & BP) and see if that floats your boat.

12. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    That may be, but right now I'm just trying to figure out why the sound coming out of the pedal is not the same one I'm hearing on the YouTube videos. Like I said, it's probably me since this is my first env filter. I'm only getting what sounds like overdriven mud.

Oh, and I'm getting plenty of power. The PSA-120 is rated at 500mA/9V while the Dunlop power supply is 200mA/9V

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I didn't realize this was your first filter. Can you record clips so we can hear what's coming out of the pedal? If so we could probably figure out if it's technique/knob adjustments or a defective pedal that's to blame for what you're hearing.

One thing the MXR should NOT be is muddy or "overdriven".

Try this. Max the FX knob and put the dry around 9 o'clock (so that you're mostly hearing the actual effect with just a bit of clean to round it out) and then set the decay and Q to noon (you can adjust them to taste later) and then put the sensitivity to zero.

Then, play through your rig. You'll almost certain not get the filter to open at first but the point will be to play with the same dynamics as you turn the sensitivity knob until the filter starts to open. Once you find that point, you can turn it a bit more to find the optimum setting for your bass and technique.

When you say it's "muddy" to me that sounds like either the filter isn't opening and/or the pedal is defective.

If you keep turning up the sensitivity and it still won't open when maxed and playing with a relatively hard attack then your bass' output and/or your fingering isn't pegging it hard enough to trigger. If that's the case and there aren't trimpots to make the adjustment then the pedal may not work for you.

But again, it's hard to tell what's going on without seeing/hearing things myself.

14. The Q-Tron replicates a wah better than a lot of filters. BUT, be ready to deal with volume spikes. And word up to Bongo for mentioning adding dirt pedals. Nothing goes together quite like my Q-Tron and my RAT for getting a super nasty filter tone.

for more info see...
    http://www.mu-tron.org/

"The Mu-Tron III by Musitronics Corp. first came out in 1972. Since 1996 the Q-Tron developed by Electro Harmonix has been the successor to the legacy which is the Mu-Tron. In early 1995 Mike Beigel was commissioned by Mike Mathews (owner of EHX) to reinvent the sound of Mu-Tron, today EHX still sells that sound as the Q-Tron.

Since then EHX has released several other units with roots tied to Mu-Tron. In 1998 the Q-Tron+ was released with technologies similar to the BSL below. In 2000 a Mini Q-Tron was developed similar to that of the original Mu-Tron."

15. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for all your input - everyone. I will have to do all this when I get home tonight. The thought that I had a defective pedal has been lingering in my mind. Unfortunately, I think I'm outside the return period (GC). If this turns out to be the case, I guess I'll have to go through MXR/Dunlop.

16. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    OK, here's the video. Yeah, my technique is a work in constant progress. Be kind. :D

17. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Pluck harder, turn Q up and decay down a little.

18. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Unless you have the world's lowest outputting bass....It's probably the filter. Go to GC and try out another one.

19. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Fun times! :) It's clearly not tracking your input well. Why, I'm not sure. Based on the fact it starts filtering better once you turn your bass volume up all of the way I think that's the start of your issue. Keep the bass volume at max, then work with the sensitivity and other settings on the filter.

20. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks guys. To address your comments: I was digging in (what I thought was) pretty hard as it was, and I'm running passive Bartolinis JJ with run through an NTBT preamp (Pedulla Rapture). But my other bass, a Warwick $$ has the same issue, and that's hardly what I'd call a low output bass. I think I'll try my luck at taking it back to GC and exchanging it. If the new one has the same issue, it's obviously me.