Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't get no relief (neckwise that is...)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by countludwig, Sep 27, 2003.

1. countludwig

countludwig

Sep 16, 2003
    ok,
    so I sat down to try to get rid of some fret buzz
    I dutifully checked the nut height and bridge height and there just isn't much adjustment there to raise the strings, I then figure that I'll look at the neck relief to see if I can help it that way, what I'm finding is that I need some more neck relief but the truss rod is already pretty loose and backing it off more does nothing for me. any suggestions ?

thanks

-Ron

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    In what location on the fretboard is the buzzing occuring? When you say that you checked the nut height, what exactly do you mean by that? Is there any relief in the neck at this time or is it in a back bow situation?

3. countludwig

countludwig

Sep 16, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've got a buzz on 2 strings in different locations and based on all the stuff I've read here (what a great resource) and checking out my bass, I need to increase the relief on the neck just a bit. The neck is straight as an arrow, no bowing in either direction. the action is low and it feels great. I can mostly avoid the fretbuzz if I play really lightly but there are situations where I need a bit more attack or sustain and I would like to solve this.
    the buzz is located at g-string first finger position( looks like the 2nd fret ) same with the D-string. perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, thats why I posted here.

thanks again.

-Ron

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Assuming that the string height at the nut is acceptable, it does sound like you need to have a little relief. :D ;)

You mentioned that you had loosened the truss rod as far as it would go and that you still didn't gain the relief that you were looking for. I had a similar problem with one of my basses, a 4-string MIJ fretless Fender standard Jazz. This was a bass that fine until I changed string maufacturers/gauges. After re-stringing, it immediately went into back bow. I placed the bass on the setup table and pressed gently in the center of the neck. The truss rod popped back into place and I haven't had any problems since that time.

Does the G (high) side of your neck seem to have more relief than the low side or vice versa? When you check at different locations on the fretboard, do you find any relief at all?