1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't get Reranch finishes in Canada, how else should I tint a neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by recreate.me, May 10, 2010.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    So here i was all set to refinish a neck using the Reranch amber tint for a vintage Jazz neck, looking into it more I find out i cant get aerosols shipped over the border sooo...

The situation thus far is i have a Mighty Mite satin poly finished jazz neck going on a P bass. I want that vintage 60s amber look, with a smooth finish.

What is the neck best thing for a great looking vintage amber with a fairly easy application and smooth protected seal?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you tried rubbing it with poutine?

3. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Thats a last ditch option if i can't find something more permanent. Anyone else?

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Maple syrup?

:D

You can mix your own spray with sprayable clear and aniline dyes. You'll have to play with them to get the right colour.

I've had lacquer made into spray bombs, but that was so long ago I forget who did it. I want to say benjamin moore, but it might have been the local paintshop when I was in Alberta. At any rate, a good paint shop should be able to custom mix what you need, especially if you can bring them a sample. If they can't, an autobody shop should be able to do it, but it won't be cheap. If its bare wood, then just try some light stains before clearcoating. If you want to spray overtop of an existing finish, getting a custom mixed colour is the only way to go...

5. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    So basically i can head to canadian tire and pick up any wood stain with a colour i like, apply as many coats as i need to get a colour right, then clear seal overtop, and sand and polish ?

I wasn't sure if it was that simple, people here drop name brands i cant seem to find lol

What type of stain should i use? just any oil based stain is good enough? and same Q for a clear coat?

Can i use something like this Varathane stain - gloss

Would i still need a clear coat over it?

6. on a maple neck, I would use a tinted spray or tinted brushing poly/lacquer instead of dying the neck itself, like Beej said. My experience is that the maple gets blotchy when the dye is applied directly to the bare wood :(

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
  8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  9. KimblesNimble

KimblesNimble

Jan 10, 2008
    "maple gets blotchy when the dye is applied directly to the bare wood"

I can attest to this

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I used MinWax natural stain & blended in a little Golden Oak stain to give it a little color then used wipe on poly satin on my MM P neck, it came out great looks 30 years old with some light sanding with 600 in the back of the neck and thumb areas

11. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I tried stew mac and they don't ship aerosols outside of the US. I was thinking minwax, they have a stain and poly clear in one can I can rub on. Anyone else use minwax? How did you get that vintage look?

Oh also, should i be sanding and finishing over the fretboard and frets? or avoid the fretwire? or avoid the whole rosewood area?