Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cant get rid of clicky sound

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by 2KINGS, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 2KINGS

2KINGS

Mar 22, 2005
    Ive been playing bass for about 14 years now. Ive only been playing with my fingers for the last 2 years. As Ive gotten more comfortable with playing with my fingers, Ive notice a clicky sound when I start hitting the strings a little harder. I only do it on my E and A strings. It sounds like im hitting the string to hard and its clicking off my fret board. I tried raising the action on my bass, and it did help some, but I still do it sometimes. Ive been playing with Heavy Guage strings since I started playing, would it help if I changed to a lighter guage string? Do I just need to learn to stop fingering my strings to hard?
    My music ministry has started recording lately, and I notice the clicking sound coming through, and it really sounds stupid. Any advice you can give me on getting rid of this "clicky sound" would be greatly appreciated. :help:

2. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Play lighter I would say, that or eq yourself differently(not allways a favorable tactic.) Play lighter and possibly lower your pickups, you might be accidently smacking the strings on them as well..

3. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    Playing lighter is the only way to stop the clicking sound. My ministry I was in made a live recording, and I was playing a frettless bass. It made all kinds of sounds. I spent a week editting out all the clicks on the computer. That was a pain :rollno:

I found out that just playing lighter makes all the difference. :bassist:

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There are various factors involved in whether or not your strings whack off the pickups or frets when you play. As well as how hard you hit strings, there's the angle you strike the string at (are you pressing down on it or pull across it) and whether you 'press' the string or 'hit' the string. A good teacher would be able to spot this stuff in about 30 seconds and point you in the right direction to correct it.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net