Can't get rid of that growl out of my G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kindablue, Sep 9, 2004.

1. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    I have an L-2000 that i picked up recently and i can't seem to get a smooth round tone out of it,which is the sound i perfer.
    do i have the wrong bass or have i just not dialed it it right yet.maybe for some players who play a harder style of music this the optimum sound they want out of a bass,i perfer my tone much more subduded.
  2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    That's the same problem I have with Fbasses. I like growl, but like to be able to dial it out (a little is okay). I just ended up going with other basses.
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    what type of strings are you using?

flats will tame that growl.
  4. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Try some Labella tapewounds-- I've got them on mine. It does tame it abit. I tend to run mine passive, series, neck or both p'ups. I also roll the treble back by about 1/4. That seems almost like a p-bass-- especially with the neck pickup. Any help?
  5. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Try to raise the action a little and see how that affects the growl.

6. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    yeah maybe i will try the tapewounds,thanks.
  7. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    You can get them from Carvin for about $19 plus shipping.
  8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I'm a non-growl kind of guy :)

I've spent many years using gear to dial out the growl at the expense of the high end..when I switched to TI Jazz flats, my seeking was over. I found the tone I was looking for, right from the bass..and now I can use the gear to dial in high end sweetness.
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you couldn't get what you want out of the G&L, I have no experience with them (but I'd like to). I just never fell in love with Fbasses.
  10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Try playing over the neck pickup (if you're not already).
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    In fact, you can even pluck right at the end of the neck and you should get a much smoother sound.
  12. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I gigged for years on my L-2000 and never had a problem with too much growl, though it was always there when I needed it!

As I recall, the trick is getting more blend to the neck PU which is less "burpy" while boosting the bass and trimming the treble. I got a pretty traditional sound that way. It takes on a rounder, almost P-b ass sound.

You could also play with cutting the midranges on your rig.
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The first thing is technique - play at the neck, with a lighter touch. Second, the neck pickup. The neck pickup picks up lower overtones and the strings are plucked differently there, too - therefore not as "harsh-sounding". Also, get some treble off - both on your bass and your amp. On your amp, also cut the hi-mids a bit. And boost the lows a bit, too ;)
  14. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree - broke the D string on my Jazz last night and had to pull my L-2500 Tribute out to finish playing... Going from the smooth jazz to the Tribute was a huge adjustment to my ears since I haven't played it in a while. Much more of an aggressive growl to me anyway, which certainly has it's place. I find flipping the parallel\series switch down (not sure if that makes it parallel or series, but oh well) looses a bit of presence, but smooths things out a lot. As mentioned above, using the neck pickup helps with this as well. I also run mine in passive mode almost all of the time unless I want a really "in your face" tone.

That bass is a real MONSTER which is why I'm glad I have mine :smug: The research I did before buying this bass described it as Fender-esque, versatile, growly and clear with lots of sustain. I find that to be pretty accurate. If it ain't your thing, you may want to try something different.
  15. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I had that problem with my L2000 as well, but after some experimenting with the controls I've been able to get a smooth tone... Try neck pickup, series, passive, cut the treble to taste and play towards the end of the fretboard.
  16. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    sell the bloody thing and get a p-bass with flatwounds!
  17. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    all of the above great suggestions (except the pbass one!) but TI flats MUST be tried before you do anything drastic.

Don't sell it - best most versatile bass on the planet.
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I put some TI Flats on my G&L. Smooth as an Ass's baby!:smug:

Here's link to a clip where I'm using it. (Warning! Contains Country Rap. May cause itching.)