Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't get rid of the feedback!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kenny_geeze, May 8, 2001.

1. kenny_geeze

kenny_geeze

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm playing in my school's talent show variety music thing, and our actual evening shows are coming up.
    My rehearsals went fine, but just this afternoon when we did a matinee for a bunch of Jr. Highschoolers, about halfway through the song I got this continuous hum of freedback. It made the song sound pretty terrible, but it never happened before. I moved as far away from the amp as possible, but it still continued. I muted the strings after every piece of riff, but it still came back, and even when I turned my volume down almost to zero, it still came back.
    I have no idea what could be causing it. I know I'm standing far enough away from the amps on my side of the stage, but is there anything else that could be causing it?
    After the show the techies told me that "you are causing alot of feedback. You should probably do something about that."
    But I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
    There's mic stands right behind me and and an elevated drum kit behind that.
    What I don't understand is, there was no problems during rehearsals. Even when I stood right beside the amp.
    The performers are not allowd to adjust the amp levels at all, and the techies control all my volume. I don't know what to do.
    If any of you can offer some advice, I'd be very thankful. I have my first real evening show tomorrow and I don't want to screw it up for the singers.

2. try and borrow someone else's bass. But why would you get feedback? Do you use distortion? I don't see how you'd get feedback from just regular bass. Give us more info on what you're using.

3. Is your Amp a valve amp? if it is, I think you need yourself a new valve, if you work your amp to hard sometimes it will go like that, but it should have just cut out completely. but I have heard of them doing that. but if you havea a solid state bass amp, I think you need to get yourself a new speaker, the same thing would cause that. working it to hard. Or easier still like the guy above me said, get a new amp for the show's.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If the hum is unchanged after you decrease the volume, the problem is after your preamp stage.

Before worrying about tubes, caps, and wiring, (the complicated stuff), try a different cable and check the jacks on your amp and your bass. Se if anything appears to be loose or disconnecting.

It would really help if had filled out your profile. People see it empty and they don't bother to help with your problem, because we don't know if you might have a tube that's acting up when it gets warm.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The cord switch and bass switch (one at a time for process of elimination) is the first place I'd look too. -You may have a bad ground. If theres a cable going from amp head to speaker cab check that as well.

6. kenny_geeze

kenny_geeze

Feb 6, 2001
    Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

7. Any time man.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    same thing happend to me but it was my mid pot. it made a really bad buzz. i just got a new one and problem was solved. like the others said make sure all your wires are connected to where there suppose to be.

9. Ok, It was said that it could be a valve, but it should cut out. We have a Fender valve amp here (good ol' '60's amp) and it would hum just like that, so bad we'd have to turn it off. It turned out that two of the main valves (606GC's) had gone microphonic.

If its not valve, then check your bass. Is it active electronics? change the battery. Mine sounded like a fuzz pedal and changed the battery, it seemed to fix it a bit. Sometimes it just hums when the battery is low.

Merls