Can't get rid of this pop up on my pc..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Dec 22, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

A while back I posted about an annoying popup that loads whenever I connect to the internet and continues to load more even when turned off (eventually you can over power it but it becomes irritting having to do this every time you connect). (Click here for that thread thread).

Someone reccomended 'Lavasofts adaware' and I've ran that 4 or 5 times and deleted the reslults but the damn pop up still keeps coming back.

One thing the adawrae keeps pointing out is a file called 'CommonName' which when explored contains suspicously named files such as 'babes' etc. I tried deleting its' content and got the following message:
    "Cannot delete babe.dat: there has been a shring violation.."

Any Idea on how to get rid of this pop up thing? Any idea if the CommonName folder is the root of teh problem, if so any idea how to get rid of its putrid content?

Cheers guys!
  2. Try this page for tips. Also, try using Google, this popped up as the second link when I searched for "CommonName" :)

EDIT: this page had even better info!
  3. You can't delete it because the program is running! My guess is that it is in your Start/Programs/Startup folder. And reinstalls itself upon reboot, making it hard to get rid of.

Check the above folder, run regedit (link below), or boot in safe mode and delete offending folders! Or you can boot into DOS and delete it with commands >

This page recommends Spybot on this particular one! Not Ad-aware:

Good luck!
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot, I've ran spybot and deleted the files..well deleted all but 2 - it couldn't erase 2 files but stated that it will upon restarting the system, so fingers crossed!

Ta mucho :D