Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can't get that sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Spanqubus, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I wanted to get a brighter sound so I tried the Ernie Ball Slinkys. I love the way they sound great except for the E and B strings. They still sound muddy, which I hate. I still want to retain having that low end in the back but I want all of the strings to sound like the A,D,and G sounds like with the EB's. I play a 5-string Jazz and was wondering if that had anything to do with it, but I figured that the strings were the problem considering the all but two of the strings sound good. My band is about to go into recording and I will also have access to a Active Carlo Robeli, and a P-bass. Which strings do you think would give me that nice bright sound on the low strings but still retain the low end? I also play in a Dropped D tuning, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

As a reference I like the sound from the following bands: Emery, Hawthorne Heights, the new Papa Roach song "Getting Away with Murder", and Chevelle.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotosound RS66!!!

3. try calling EB -- it could be that your B and E strings are dead and shouldn't be. you might also try reducing the gauge on those two strings. i commonly buy 45 65 80 100 sets (instead of the more common 45 65 85 105) in order to get a brighter tone out of my A and E strings.

robb.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use the DR High Beams. as for the Drop "D" I use a Hipshot
    with Rotosound BS66 strings,they are designed to keep the
    intonation when dropping down. :cool:

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    +1 Highbeams should do the trick, you want stainless strings. Jazz's are very smooth at times try boosting your EQ on your head too.

6. Try Firewire from Canada, they sound good and stay sounding good for months, i also drop d tune for certain songs and they rock well.Very clear full and punchy sound.I had tried Elixir, EB, Daddario, Elites, Rotosound,Fender,DR'S etc etc and these Nickel roundwounds last longer and sound good straight from the packet and stay like it for months of regular use, in the past the other makes lasted me 1 to 2 months tops even S/S and Elixir coated !!

Mart