Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cant get that sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by warwickben, May 28, 2002.

1. i know theres no way to get claypools sound unless your him. can any oen tell me how to get the effect he uses on the song mr oyster head if you dont know the son is by oysterhead. allso how can i get the sound for antipop. i been trying to get these sounds and havnt had any luck.

2. tell me if you're trying to get this sound live or in recording, so i know where to move this little lost thread.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A very close friend of mine had a Primus/Rush/Fisher-Z cover band a few years back.
    He got very close to Les' sound, even on an Ibanez Soundgear!!!
    But he basically lived on that Primus stuff at that time.

4. i want to play it live and maybe recored it.i just want to know what effects to use i dont care about my tone being wicked close.i just want to know what effects to use to get that sound he us on mr oysterhead and antipop.

5. well, ball's in your court bigfeet.

6. Since this is a different question I'm not going to merge the threads... But I'm going to use the same reply...

Les uses a Korg AX300B for most of his effects live and now in recording, he's used the same multieffect for the past few years on all of his albums... That effect he's getting is from one of the many crappy envelope filter patches. He used the same effect on their Black Sabbath cover... He also runs a sansamp BDDI for boosts and a Boomerang Loop sampler to get "wierd spacey sounds." There's an effect called percussion that modulates a percussive effect (which you can get with a filter) to you bass' sound on the AX300B, that's the sound you hear on Liquor Head and Dirty Drowning Man... On the antipop recording he used a line of different korg multi-effects, like the G5 and AX300B... and added his guitarist's Mutron Bi-Phase for the recordings.