Can't get that Steve Harris tone!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SeismicAssault, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
  2. Doelle

Doelle

Jul 22, 2009
    Århus, Denmark
    + effing 10k! xD

3. cambrini

cambrini

Aug 6, 2012
    I have used the roto monamel Flats although nit the ginormous ones he uses .
    Great sound and feel good when playing through an amp but having seen Maiden Last week and listening to the grind he was getting out of his strings I really could not hear them being flats .
    One great reason to use flats is to get rid of string zing between slides.
    However I think a lot of his sound comes from him and how he plays and what he dials in .
    Flats are great for fitting in with a lot of guitars .
    The Rotos he uses are lo output strings if you can believe that and that was my experience , the good part being that the set is more even is output across the pick up .

4. Nick Dilley

Nick Dilley

Mar 25, 2012
    Mostly technique and amp settings. Crank the treble so there's something thats cuts in addition to the beef of the mids (and he keeps 'em in) and the rumble of the low.

I was always amazed at how his finger playing plucks like a pick! Love it!

5. DrummingNut

DrummingNut

Jan 24, 2012
    I was lucky enough to meet Steve on holiday a couple of years ago and he is one of the nicest most humble and also helpful blokes going, we spent quite a bit of time with him and p's the wives off a bit talking just music and football, my boys love Maiden so were made up and got autographs and loads of pics with him, we have seen him since and he really is a top notch geezer, he plays his strings hard, almost percussive hence the clanky sound which works well as he is so active on stage, whereas John Entwhistle barely moved when on stage so he was able to develop a technique of stroking the strings gently :)

Aras likes this.
  6. I think you'll find that you'll never get what sounds like Steve Harris playing solo. His tone out of the mix doesn't sound anything to me like the amazing percussive tone he has within it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021