Can't get the right slap sound in my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bkchang79, Apr 2, 2003.

1. My setup includes the aggie db659 pre, epifani T212, stew 2.1. Do you guys think it's the aggie's fault or the 212? Don't get me wrong I love my setup for fingerstyle play, but the punchness just isn't there. I was thinking about getting a Acme low b 2 series 1 to rememdy this problem. but I want to hear some opinions before I drive a couple hours to get it.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not uncommon for people to have a finger setting and a slap setting. I hit the EQ pedal when I slap. I generally boost 120hz for some bottom end punch, and boost the high mids (1k to 3k) for the crack. I don't boost treble coz I play a stingray and is doesn't need a treble boost. The most important part though is to cut some low mids (200-300hz) to remove the cardboardy sound, then adjust the level so it's the right volume compared to your finger playing.

This will vary from bass to bass but it gives you a starting point. And it's cheaper than buying a new cab.
  3. Pete that's what I did lowered the mids and boost the bass and treble, but I still don't get a punchy sound. I get more of a punchy sound from my Fender bassman 25 combo then the rig above. Do you think that I need a EQ to carve out the tone more?

4. What do you mean by open both volumes full and roll off a bit of tone?

Bright switch made a little difference in clarity, but the deep switch made it sound muddy.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm truely believe that EQ is an incredibly powerful tool. You won't need anything fancy. One of those Boss Bass EQ pedals should do the trick.

By the way, what sort of Bass are you playing. Some basses are better slap-hounds than others.
  6. Your Fenders should be slap-FIENDS!...At least mine are...My favorite settings would be 1/4 gain, 5/8 bass, 1/2 (or more) mids, 5/8 treble...that works for fingerstyle and slap for me.
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Just some thoughts:
    -New strings. Slapping won't sound good with dull strings.
    -Setup. Low action is better than high.
    -Technique. You should hit the strings quite hard but with precision.

Some boost @120Hz might do the trick, but it seems like aguilar has no eq slider between 40Hz and 400Hz. You could try cutting @400Hz.

Being a more 'traditional' type of pre, I assume that it may be the aguilar that is lacking in punch in favour of warmth...
  8. Setup is alright, strings are getting old but it doesn't explain how I get a better slapping sound from my bassman 25 combo.
  9. Do you guys think compression would make it sound punchier as well?
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i still think, "why didnt i think of that?!" whenever Pete posts that.

11. I think that you should send your rig to me so I can bench test it! :D
  12. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Dont take this the wrong way, but if you are not accurate when slapping it can sound crappy as well?

Also, I find that 10's really help a slap sound. A 210 on top of that 212 would kill.
  13. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I believe you when you say you can't get a good slap sound from that rig;no surprise to me,sorry.

Your finger style-tone should be very warm,deep and full,otherwise.

I think that EQ won't help you so much;I'd suggest you to add at least another cab with 10" speakers:EBS and SWR work the best for slap to me.
  14. honestly,I think its a mix of the the Epi's rounder nature and the warmth, old school-ness of the agg.

If it were me, Id first experiment with the tube choices. there are only 2x12ax7's so they're not expensive. Id also try YOUR bass and YOUR rack into another cab. Do the same subbing the head with that cab.

As I said above, I think that its a mix of a (IMHO) not so tight 12'er cab (some are fast, some are not - the Epi to me is a bit closer to a 15 than a 10) and a warmer pre-.

15. Did you try turning up the attenuator for your tweeter, if your cab has that feature on the back panel (which I'm guessing but one can't be too sure.)?
  16. I bought a Furman power conditioner and found out the voltage in my house is messed up, put some new strings on my Jazz bass and got the slap tone I want. I think the voltage caused alot problems with my amp not starting properly in the begining and made the sound muddy. Now I'm enjoying my new rig.
  17. OUCH!!! :eek: I played a gig a few months ago where the voltage was spiking up to 195ish.... fried our PA and 2 power strips, praise god my eden can roll with the punches!
    Glad to see you got things figured out!