1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't groove along :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Insanity^2, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I'm in an 'alternative' band, sort of like blur, and the frontman... for lack of a better word, wanted to try to go a bit more indie/mainstream for a school talent contest thing (It's ended up pretty alternative though :( ) My problem, however, is I can't fit a bassline in with the song. I either play roots, make up a line that's far too busy, or just make something that doesn't fit/you don't WANT to fit :meh:
    Any help would be appreciated, be it a tab, beats with accents where i should play, comment, whatever, I'm still a newbie and tips would be awesome, especially for future reference.
    It's powertabbed, but this site won't lemme upload it so... Verses 1 and 2 (the nuisances ;) ) go:

2. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    well its pretty hard to say without hearing it in context

and without knowing whether you play fingerstyle or with a pick

but besides those two things, (and speaking completely for myself), i'd just play less notes. the reason it may not 'fit' could be that the song isn't driven by chugging 8th notes. i think of that as more of a punk/rock thing than indie.

find notes that you can just hold out (obviously the roots, but other tones too). then put in some passing tones between chord changes and maybe a few fills to break the pattern.

the beatles come to mind. paul never really played anything superfluous, nothing rhythmically unusual...the bass always complimented the band, it was never really the motor of the group. and if you really want to sound mainstream (and however much u might not like it), play to the guitars. dont be a soloist.

3. +1

My current band does all originals, and I find a lot of our songs to be boring to play (as a bassist) but my lines fit the music, and that's the most important thing to me.

I'd add to the above post and say you should try playing with 4ths and 5ths, or maybe some sliding as transitions.