Can't hear myself at practice... do I need a new amp or an extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmaki, Oct 22, 2002.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Hey everyone. Lately, the guitarists in my band have started bringing their 150+ watt half stacks to practice instead of their low-wattage combos, and I can't hear myself anymore. I have a 200 watt 2x10 combo (Eden Nemesis) which I would think should be enough power. I have the settings so I can cut through, but I can't get loud enough without clipping the preamp (I think). Is it harmful to the amp for the red light next to the compression button to light up? I have the master volume up around 2 o'clock and the drive at 11, but it doesnt get loud enough until 12 but it starts lighting up then. Do I need to look for a louder amp, or maybe get an extension cab? Or should I not worry about the preamp clipping a bit and being compressed?

2. Just my opinion, but...........

You need a more powerful amp. My general rule of thumb (others here may dissagree) is that you need at least 4X the power of your guitarist. It takes tons more power to reproduce the low frequencies produced by a bass guitar when compared to the upper frequencies from guitars.
  3. The battle never ends does it? I've been there and done that. Can't get their TONE without making everybody elses ears bleed. ( It's a guitar thing) Are the other band members complaining that they can't hear you as well? Do you use the Eden rig when you play out as well and is it the only thing your bass plays through or do you come through the PA as well?

If the other band members are ok with you volume at practice then just move your amp closer to YOU like behind your HEAD where you can hear it better. If they are complaining that they can't hear it as well then your gonna have to get something bigger (SVT) If your playing out and only using a 200 amp with a 2X10 cab with guitars using 150 watt 1/2 stacks, you won't be the only one not hearing the bass.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Get them to turn the he!! down. It's only practice, jeez :rolleyes:
  5. zoran

May 10, 2002
    that' s right. What do you have there? A battlefield?
  6. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Hopefully I can get the guitarists to turn down their amps.

Though, does it hurt my amp to have it kick in the compressor alot? Or will that not damage anything?

- Dave
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Put your amp on a chair or table.. or get a 115 cab or another 2x10 cab...
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Before a new amp or extension cab GET SOME EAR PLUGS! :D

Seriously though, you're going to damage your hearing if your not carefull.:eek:
  9. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Amen to that!!!

How does anyone hear an amps tone with the blood clots clogging up their ears? I've not been able to tell a tone advantage when it is so loud it hurts. I think pain is a disadvantage.
  10. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If the other band members are ok with you volume at practice then just move your amp closer to YOU like behind your HEAD where you can hear it better.

BAD ADVICE!! Easy way to go deaf.

It might help to add some midrange to your tone, which will cut through the mix better.

If you think you need a new amp, ask the guitar players to chip in. Maybe then they'll turn down.

11. Have to agree with the above.
    Turn it down.
    Fact is: if you get louder they will get louder.
    Next time just unplug and sit down.

Explain that a musician listens to all the members of the band not just themselves.

I have seen bands in clubs that were pretty quite, it was a great change.
  12. i should thank my lucky stars every day. there's only 1 guitarist in my band and i routinely tell him to turn UP.
  13. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    No, NO, NO!!! You guys have it ALL WRONG.

No body is supposed to ever hear the bass player, and bass players shouldn't even think of doing bass solos.

At least. . . that's what the guitarists and lead singers I've worked with have told me before. :rolleyes:

More watts in an amp is like more cubic inches of displacement in an engine. Besides, if the guitar players drown you out now, wait until you find a drummer. Just don't go deaf in the process.
  14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Find another band
  15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    No kidding! One of our guitarists cranks his twin up so loud it distorts, and that is a loud, clean amplifier, normally! Luckily, he'll turn down if we complain. I feel sorry for our drummer though; he hits hard and we still can't hear him! Maybe a new kit is in order...:p
  16. Someone answer the guys REAL question already! :D Sorry, just had to get that out after reading all posts :p
  17. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    total overhaul. new amp, cab(s), etc.
  18. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The real answer to the question is that a guitarist will never need a 150w half stack ever period.

It's called a PA and with one and a microphone in front of a cab a guitarist will never need more than 50w. In fact I've never heard a 30w combo revved up properly. I gig on guitar with a 15w combo and earplugs.

To advise a guy to buy more gear because his guitarists are clueless is irresponsible.

Dmaki it's your money and your ears do what you want but I would not and do not put up with it.
  19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Amen, I'm in a six piece blues band and our guitarist has some very high end boutique 30 watt combo that he almost never turns up more than half way. If he does I just lay my 1600 watts on him and he gets the message:D

20. I'll second this motion. When we practice I use my Ashdown 130-15. Gain is usually at the 3 o'clock and volume is usually about 12 - 1 o'clock ish! I don't believe that I'm using the full 130wattsas I can still turn up and get louder.

Our guitarist has a 100w Marshall Valvestate combo. He's probably got his gain about halfway, and his volume about halfway. This works well with the drummer and the PA for the vocalist.

We all use ER-20 earplugs - so we're probably a wee bit louder than we need to be, but the earplugs help protect our hearing a lot!