1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can't Hear Myself Think-or playing onstage!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MotorTed, May 7, 2006.

1. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I'm having trouble hearing myself on stage. I have a single GK410 and it sounds great 10-20 feet away, but I need to be able to hear me at 2-3 feet. I've searched and followed many threads here and I am confident that someone has found a solution to this problem. I thought about adding a cabinet to raise the 410. I've thought of getting an 8x10 but it might look out of place with my 2 guitarists 2x12 each. I followed the Schroeder cabinet threads and may buy one of them anyway. :bassist: My band isn't hearing me well either especially the drummer and that is not good. I've considered bringing a kickback 12 amp I have to use as a monitor but it's one more thing to carry. your help and recommendations are most welcome.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Tell the guitar players to turn down (it won't work, but it's the best solution).

Try tilting your cab so it's aimed at your head.

Try putting a combo off to your side, shooting across you towards the drummer.

3. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    Aint that the truth!
    Actually I enjoy what they're playing and like to hear it so that wouldn't work.

The GK 410RBH is designed to tilt back. I want to try that but then I have to take up twice as much space and my amp rack is on the floor next to it. I tought of buying a larger 10-16 space rack with wheels so it wouldn't seem out of place.

Great sugestions! None of which would cost me anything to try. Thank you.

4. I actually found that putting my SWR Silverado on a box helped tremendously. I typically use my Warwick AXWV under it, as the 4 x 8 cab doesn't reproduce with authority below G or so. The extra 1.5' of height makes a huge difference.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The problem is, that if your onstage volume is too loud, then you can't hear as clearly. If you ALL turn down then you will find you can actually hear each other better. Try it at a practice sometime. The guitar players will refuse of course because of some 'special' sound they get when their amp is running wide open. And it's harder to play drums quietly than it is to bang hard and loud. BUT, it really will sound better.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    As for the combo thing ... that works both ways. If there is a guitar part you have a hard time hearing, bring a small cheapo guitar combo, put it down as a floor monitor for you and grab a signal from the guitar you can't hear.

Anoth thing to consider is earplus, specifically http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm . If you take a look at the response graph you'll see that these attenuate mids and highs a LOT more than lows, so you can hear yourself over whatever folks are throwing at you.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Are you playing through a PA?

DI>PA>MONITOR

Done

If the PA sucks, Put your cab ON TOP of your amp rack so it is closer to ear level (and takes up less space) and then put entire setup behind the drummer. Not directly behind, of course, but off to whichever side you are standing.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

Raising the cab will help.
    Are you cutting the low-mids on your EQ? These are the freqencys that will cut through, to everyone on a loud stage.

I used to have the same problem hearing myself with a loud rock band.
    I could never stand the solo tone of any of my s/s amps without cutting the mids.

There not for everyone, but for me the solution was using a big tube amp.

9. i have not run into this problem with my 220 watt ampeg combo and here's why. its all about finding a tone that cuts through.

i refuse to take my combo off the floor as i find it loses bottom end power.

10. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    a) i think all speaker cabs sound better (the notes are clearer) off the floor, or at least decoupled form the floor (like on rubber wheels)

b) if you can't hear yourself, but it sounds right in the house... then don't change anything in the sound... add a monitor.

Either from the PA/Monitor mixer, or just for yourself by adding a small second speaker aimed at you.
    Do you sing? DO you already have a monitor wedge? Just have them add some bass into it.
    Otherwise you may want to get something like a wedge just for yourself that comes off you amp.

but i DO agree that your sound needs to cut clearly... so can you go out into the front of house and listen?
    DOES the bass sound good out there (IN the mix, not by itself) so that the problem really IS only on stage?
    Or it it that you guys need a better blend up there?

11. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    have you tried to change your eq to get a sound that cuts through better, i personally prefer quite a hi-fi tone myself, which always cuts through in my band situations and that is with a 115 speaker or a 410 without being tilted back or anything.

another thing you could try in a rehearsal would be for all you to sit down and try and get tones that all fit around each other so that not one person is overpowering the others.

i think that simply turning your amp up is not really the best thing to do.

the other thing is that if you are playing without any kind of monitering that can really make you play below your best, if you can always hear your self then you will always be happy as far as i am concered, even if it is only a little bucket moniter or something like that, it will help

Dave

12. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    Excellent info!
    It really sounds great out in front, but not nearby. I will work on getting more bass in the monitors. I wasn't in them at all last gig....aha there's the problem! :hyper:

I'll aim the 410 cab at my head with a large amp loaded with glowing tubes but not before getting earplugs and add more into the monitors. Then it will be all about the Bass baby! :cool:

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    A cab stand is definitely worth considering here, positioned so that the cab is angled towards you and the drummer. Works well for me.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use more than 1000 watts, and when I only use one 410 instead of two of them, I HAVE to get it up high to hear it properly in a loud stage mix.

Your ears aren't on your knees. Get it up high and your close-monitoring deficiencies will be gone.

15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Another approach...........build a simple case for your 4x10. Keeps your cab from getting beat up when transporting, you can set the 4x10 on top of it for the gig to get it up to ear level, and since it'll be sitting level you can still set your amp on top of the stack.

It doesn't even have to be a "full" case with a lid - it can be an open ended box that you just slide your cab inside of for transport, then flip it over, open end down to use as a stand.

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    turn up your mids. personally I use a 410 cabinet all the time and I stand almost right in front of it and have no problem hearing it at all.

I would say either your amp isn't powerful enough or you are scooping your EQ.

edit: After re-reading your posts it sounds to me like you are playing entirely too loud.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm surprized that no one mentioned earplugs... Do you wear hearing protection?

I found that wearing earplugs did two things...most importantly, it protected my hearing from guitarists that don't want to turn down and secondly, it filtered out all the mud so I could actually hear the instruments (including myself) much better.

I use cheapo roll-up foam plugs and I know that those that have had earplugs custom made swear by them.

Beyond that, boosting the 200 Hz area seems to help too, but do try hearing protection first...

18. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    :rolleyes: :eyebrow:
    :cool:

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ok, so I missed that one...:oops:

20. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It can't be said enough. I have 3-4 different sets of earplugs and don't regret buying any of them.