1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't hear myself

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsm81, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm currently using an Ampeg B2-RE / B410HLF. I'm happy with the small setup and the overall volume of the unit is great for the church I play at. The problem I'm having is that we don't have a very deep stage to play on, so I'm generally standing about 3' away from my rig with my back to it. To make matters worse, I'm about 6'3" (with my boots on) so my ears end up being about 3' above the height of my cabinet. I know that lower frequencies tend to be omni-directional, but I play a Fender Jazz and what I can't hear very well are the mid and higher freq's. If I crouch down in front of the cabinet, everything sounds fine but from my height all I could hear is the boom.

I've been thinking about maybe getting the B115E to place under it, so the 410's will be higher off the ground for me to hear. But then I'll also need to get either a poweramp or a new head to drive both.

I've also seen other musicians use bass monitors tilted in front of them.

If I can get any direction from you guys or gals, I'd appreciate it.

2. Either figure out a way to tilt the cabinet back so it's pointed upward at your ears, figure out a way to use IEM (In-ear Monitors) or a nice 15" with horn floor wedge.

It's hard to give any other advise not knowing what your church has as far as PA and what exactly your stage looks like...

3. waterdog

waterdog

Nov 14, 2007
    Treasure coast
    While almost always in favor of more gear in this case I say -
    Buy or build an amp stand. Get what you have to where you can hear it.

JL

4. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I think I am steering more towards getting the B115E cabinet to place under the B410HLF. This would give me a fuller sound anyway. Now, I'll have to start researching poweramps. I'm interested in using the Sansamp RBI as a preamp directly into whatever poweramp I use. This maybe a stupid question, but is there any concern when plugging a 4ohm cab into 1 channel and a 8ohm cab into the second channel of the same amp???

5. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    The outputs on that B2RE are parallel so its all on the same channel. It would be no different than chaining it from the top cabinet. You would effectively have a 3 ohm load using a 4ohm and an 8ohm cab, which would NOT be safe. You either need to use one 4ohm cab or 2 8ohm cabs with that amp. I have pretty much the same setup, B2RE and B410 with a Classic 115 (both 8ohm) and I can hear it pretty well even on a loud stage.

6. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Get your cab off the floor (plastic milk crates are great for this) and move it another 6" to a foot out from the wall. You said that you can hear boomy bass, so another 15" speaker will not help. Also, I don't know your head very well, but if you can EQ out some lows, and add some low mid and treble, that will help.

7. simple - angle the cab back by leaning it against a chair or something - that way the sound will aim towards your ears when playing - a no-expense solution.

8. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    The trouble is that when I crouch in front of it the EQ is right on, but at my ear height I loose the mid and treble, and all I can hear are the lows. Again, I think this is because low frequencies aren't directional like mid's and high's. The reason I was looking at getting a 15" cab to put under it is because I can always use a crossover to send more of the mid's and high's to the 410 and send the low's to the 115. This would give me a broader spectrum and the mid's and high's will be closer to my ears. I do alot of slapping and I tend to play in more of a jazzier style, so hearing the mid's is pretty important to me.

Backwater, so you're saying I'd probably have to trade my 410 for an 8 ohm model if I wanted to run both cabs through the B2-RE??? But in that regard I wouldn't be able to use a crossover between the 115 and the 410. I guess I could just turn the horn all the way down on the 115, which would effectively block out most of the higher freq's.

9. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    What about using EQ, if u change ur EQ to the classic Jack Bruce frown pushing up the hi mids dropping the highs and the lows and having the low mids at the flat position makes a bass cut through the mix way more than volume, I've with a grand piano and a trumpet (very loud acoustic instruments) using a 20W transistor stag amp, and even with the volume on 3 I could hear exactly what I was doing because I have my on board EQ set at a mid boost shape. Larger Venues I use my 600W T-Max much to the same effect, I also only use a 1x15 which essentially should be muddier than your 4x10. So I'd say have a look at EQ as your first call

10. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks Kevin, I used to do that with an old combo amp I had. My worry with that now is that there were a few time my combo would fall forward, thankfully it would just wind up in the upright position ( but there was that one time that the amp fell backwards also). With my new setup there's nothing but gravity that connects my head to the cab, and if that were to happen again I'd hate to risk damaging my head.

11. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks namraj, I'll take a look at that

12. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    I have the B2R combo with a 15" and have the same problem when on stage. When I bring my V4 4x12 I never have a problem hearing myself. It also sends people running out the door. Stacking 2 cabs should help you hear yourself, but you'll need to go to 2, 8ohm cabs.
    I might get a 2x10 to make it easier to transport to gigs.