Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cant install pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OblivionBass, Oct 1, 2005.

1. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Hey i just bought new schaller p bass pups and I have some questions about installing them

1.) When I took off my old pickups from the squire affinity, i noticed that the currect pickups had a foamy material there, that my new pups dont....why dont my new pups have them, should i just take the foam off and put it on the new ones?

2.)Also, I saw that my old pups showed the pickups in series and showing the area of soldering, but my new pickups have wax or something under the pickup and I cant see where the soldering is. How am i suppose to solder and connect them this way?

3.)does it matter which pickup goes on the top left side and the bottom right? mine didnt come with any instructions

4.) how do I wire them? the factory setup only has 3 wires, while i have 4 wires with my new ones.

I really really need these questions answered cause now my bass is just sitting there taken and apart and I really am clueless

this is how my new pickups look like:
    [​IMG]

:help: please. :bawl:

2. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    that really sucks man, but have you tried schaller's web site and tried to find any schimatics on there, that might be the first step, and if all else fails, take it to a guitar center or local music shop that could install them.

-Jake

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    okay, this will be easier than you think...

Let's make green ground, and yellow signal. hook together brown and white and then install them. Find yourself some neoprene type rubber (maybe from an old thick mousepad) and rubber glue it to the back of the pickups.

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Exactly right...I just installed a set of these tonight...they're great sounding pickups! It doesn't matter which half goes on which side, but the wire ends should both be facing the same direction.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I got a set too. :hyper: With this particular pickup, can some one point me to a series/parallel wiring diagram. I would only need a 2 way mini switch correct? TIA

6. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Here's a link to the Dimarzio version...very similar pickup:

Series/parallel pickup wiring

BTW, I used a pull-up switch from Stew-Mac so that isn't an extra hole required.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Tornadobass, thank you for the link to the wiring diagram. Do you have a link or part # for the Stew Mac push pull pot? That sounds like a much better idea.

8. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Look here Stew-Mac push-pull pots.

Be sure to wire the switch so that it's in series mode when the switch is down. Also, align the setscrew on the knob with the slot on the top of the pot so you don't squish the sides when you tighten it...or put a little metal shim in the slot first.

Good luck!